Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C3 to C7 4 level fusion recovery update

DaveDDDaveD Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all, Just wanted to jump for a recovery update. I had a 4 level fusion with instrumentation on 12/19/11, and while the first 6 weeks were rough things seem to be getting better. I am scheduled for my first pt appt. on friday and will return to work on monday.

Initially I had considerably more pain in my right arm and shoulder but that really is much better. My biggest problem seems to be the pain accross my upper back and nerve pain that comes and goes. I also have considerably more nerve pain in my left arm than I ever had before but realize that is just a result of such a extensive procedure. I had both a anterior and post procedure so I know the muscles are going to take some work and nerves time to heal. I'm a little supprised how little it takes pyhsically to bring on the pain both nerve and muscle, but know that too will get better.

So all in all I am quite pleased so far with the outcome even though I'm a little nervous about my return to work. But I am definitely ready to get back, one can only sit around for so long.

Hope all is well for the rest of you and look forward to all of us continuing to get better.

Have a great day!

• Sounds to me like your doing good! I can relate to your recovery better than most. That is similar to my "normal" during recovery. I wish I could find a very old post of mine....back in a previous generation of this forum....where I described my recovery. However, if you follow the same path I did, you will be just fine. It may take longer than others, but it doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you get there. Follow the doc's rules of recovery, do you physio, strengthen your core when you're ready and keep a positive attitude.

Take care!
  • Hang in there Dave and keep stretching and exercising. I had a C3-C5 ACDF in March 2001 and remember that the first 6 months are rough. I know that every case is different and that surgery is not effective for everyone, but if you can keep believing that it will get better and keep exercising as much as possible, you will get better. I'm 11 years post ACDF and so thankful that I don't live in daily pain anymore. I do still have an area of numbness on my face, but the intense daily pain is gone. I can walk and exercise again without being in pain.

Good luck to you in your road to recovery. I wanted to post since I know you mostly only hear from people who have trouble after surgery. Those of us who have had success in our surgery leave the forum. I was an ardent subscriber many years ago, but left after I started feeling better. Hopefully your pain is short lived. I know that it can be intense, in some ways more so than the pre-surgery pain, but those are the nerves reawakening.

Best wishes in your continued recovery.