Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain pump trial is over

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Chronic Pain
I can honestly say I have just spent the last 24 hrs in some of the worst pain I have been in for a very long time. I understand that they need you drug free for the trial but that was just plain brutal. I can handle my pain fairly well but 30 minutes before I was wheeled into the OR my pain just got the best of me. I broke down and cried and just could not take it anymore. The original plan was to start at 2mg of Moraphine and titrate up as needed but the doc saw the shape I was in and started at 4mg. The cath was inserted mid spine and after the first injection I was taken back to recovery with the nurse having in hand another 4mg to give me if the pain had not calmed down within 30 minutes. I am happy to say that I did not require the other 4 mgs and within the half hour I was around 85% pain free. So the pain pump will be scheduled. I was crying in the post-op area and the doc came in and asked if the pain was that bad and I told him " No this is the most pain free that I have been for about 7 years and I forgot what that felt like and I was just being a little emotional". So I guess we can say this was a successful trial!

• Hi Susan,
    I am so happy it worked for you and I'm sure you can't wait till its in and working.
    I wish you all the best with it and your new journey of so much less pain. :D
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Hi Susan :H

So sorry to here about that moutain you've been climbing. WOW! I emphathize with what your went through and are going through. I am not close to having to think about a SCS or pain pump, YET. All I know is when my meds wear off their "every 8 hour" cycle, I know. If I don't keep on tract pretty close to the mark, I pay for it. Then it takes me a few days to get straightened out. Until the past 2 to 3 months, many many tears over pain ~X( . Seemed like nothing was easing it. Finally, after about 9 months of trying different med combinations, pain dr and I found a combo that seems to keep me quite comfortable. The question is for how long??? (Click on Rassy's Story for my Resume of Pain Game). I just know I could not go drug free at all. I cannot last a day that my pain begins to intensify more and more. I admire your courage for going through what you are. I sure hope the pain pump is your answer. Keep my fingers crossed for you. Here's a big >:D< for happy and warm thoughts. Keep us posted. We're all in the stands cheering for you.

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • Susan,
    Well done you, these events are emotional full of expectation and hope of new beginnings, I cannot remember what not having pain feels like now, so my thoughts are with you. Only after my fusion in 1990 for about an hour did I get any relief where breathing itself hurt. I cried with pain and joy, an emotion for each eye.

Take care and good luck. John
  • Best of luck with the implant, My trial was terible. 7 days spinal leak made me back out and i just had them pull it and finaly blood patch,

Best of luck to you with it,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Wishing you the best with the pump! That's great news and you should be emotional! Congrats!!! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • This is great news Susan!! I do understand why you were so emotional....so was I!!

The pain relief one gets with a pain pump is just wonderful!! The only way they will ever take mine from me is out of my dead body!!

Very best of luck to you.

Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • I am so Happy for you <:P

It is very encouraging for some of us to read the "HAPPY" stories when our own stories really stink right now... You give me HOPE :) Thank You :)

Wishing you all the Best!

This discussion has been closed.