Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Physical therapy after a coritsone epidural

LA_runner_chickLLA_runner_chick Posts: 91
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I have a pinched nerve at L5/S1; the chief problem it has caused is weakness on the outside of my foot and lower leg/calf area. I've been on a conservative treatment plan, and I recently worked with P/T who gave me some strengthening exercises -- much to my surprise, they seem to be working a little bit.
I'm getting ready to have another cortisone epidural -- those always provide relief for a little while, until I get all cocky, think "Wow, I feel like my old self again!" and then overdo it with activities. I'm going to be really mellow to let the shot work as long as it can.
I'm wondering if I should continue the weight-bearing strength exercises, or if they might damage the nerve? Anyone had similar experiences?
(and YES, I know I should be asking these to my doctor, but he's really difficult to communicate with, did not see the benefit of P/T in the first place, yadda yadda. And YES, I know I should get a new doctor.)

• Could you ask your physical therapist? I have a really good relationship with my PT and I've called him in the past with questions.

My guess is that the exercises would continue to help you as long as you don't overdo it. (Easier said than done, I know!)

Good luck, and sorry I can't be more help!