Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe nighttime pain after surgery

LynLLyn Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Can anybody help? I had a discectomy (x2) over 3 weeks ago now. For the first week that I was home all was well - gradually building up the strength in my left leg and hip again and just slight 'annoying' pain. But, for 10 days now, I have been in agony. My back is killing me at night. My poor husband has to lift me upright in the morning to much screaming and crying. I cope with pain well but this is crazy. I have a very high bed and sleep on a bag to enable me to move more easily. I went back to my surgeon on Monday who gave me injections to do at night and said that for some people, the internal stiches cause more problems than for others. However, it is not getting better and as far as I can tell, the injections are not helping. I am starting to wish I had my old leg pain back again! I really am at the end of my tether. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this delayed reaction and chronic pain normal? I am sick of taking drugs (which don't even seem to do that much) Any advice would be so very welcome

• i have sent you a private massage
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Just to let you know that when I had a microdisectomy operation years ago, it had to be repeated exactly a month later because the first one failed.

I'm curious what injections your surgeon gave you to administer yourself? Are they supposed to work immediately, or will they take time to have the desired effect?

If these injections are supposed to provide pain relief almost immediately, and they are not, can you contact your surgeon again to let him know?

You may need more reassurance from your surgeon that your discectomy was successful and if he thinks your level of pain now is normal. Maybe you can ask if there are further tests he can do to make sure there's nothing else going on.

I really hope your injections give you the desired pain relief very soon, or that you can get more support from your surgeon to sort the problem out quickly, if there is one.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!