Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What was it that you regret now

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
edited 08/10/2012 - 7:22 PM in Matters of the Heart
From the first day you start experiencing spinal problems to the days when you are managing your condition I am certain we have dark shadows somewhere along the line.

I have at least two that come to mind.

1 A long time ago (early 1980's) when I was going through my series of lumbar surgeries, I was totally frustrated by everything and felt nothing was really helping. My neurosurgeon was taking care of my situation months after he performed some lumbar surgery on me. He wrote my pain medication scripts (Tylox) He sent me to a Pain Management doctor to see what else could be done to help me. That doctor after coming up with a few ideas asked me if I needed any pain medication. I said , Yes, that would help.
So basically, I had two doctors providing me with pain medications. That was wrong and I am ashamed that I resorted to that.

2 While recovering from one of my cervical surgeries, I decided to do some heavy yard work since I was feeling so good. No one was home, so , I got down and dirty in the yard and started to move some real heavy rocks.
I thought I was doing a good thing. I know that if my wife was home, she would have been furious for me doing such as stupid thing. Well, after moving those rocks, I came back in, showered and stuff. By the time my wife came home from work, I was basically glued to a recliner and hardly moving. For the next 3 weeks, I really couldnt do anything. My selfish behavior and actions basically sentenced my wife to take care of me more than she needed to do , and created a situation where she had to pick up the work load I was doing while she was at work. I know from that point on, I tried to make sure that I would not do anything stupid. Not because I might hurt myself, but because that would create additional burdens on my wife.

We all have situations we regret, how about yours?
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I simply regret ever having surgery! Surgery is for the purpose of making a person beter not worse as it is in my case!

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I regret overdoing it at work lifting people on my own and bending at the waist instead of the knees and crouching down.

I worked through the pain without getting Physiotherapy and pretty much overdid it at work.

I regret not keeping up with working out and stopped keeping my body in good shape and not drinking enough water to stay hydrated.

I haven't had surgery and been in pain for 4 years. I don't know if having my herniated disc fixed when it was bad would've helped? I feel stuck. :''( (I wonder why they call this a smiley?)

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Believing my first surgeon. Who was cocky, arrogant, and had every one believing that he was the surgeon "God"
    After my first multi level surgery, He basically "dismissed" me!
    My wife was with me and we said wait a minute. What are my restrictions? He said, you can't hurt my work. Not believing that there were NO restrictions. I asked, can I go back to lifting 100 lb. sacks of cement or other heavy building materials. He said yes, go about you life. Still not believing, I asked, can I play full contact football. He said yes.Do you know what no restrictions means!!! I said o.k. And The first thing I did. Was to move my house. (just me and my grandson)And blew out the next disc!
    I ran into an old buddy and he told me he just had a 2 level surgery. And work comp sent him back to work to early. And he immediately blew out the next disc. He said his Dr. had told him "you will be back" How long or how soon depends on entirely on you. You treat your back with tender loving care.
    And it may be years from now. But, if you don't, I'll be seeing you soon!
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Jim,did your surgeon have a brother? My first surgeon sold me that same line of bull too.
  • I am not dissing all chiropractors. For run-of-the-mill folk with mild aches and pains, they're great. But since I've been on my spinal odyssey, I would say only 20% of the ones I saw were able to do me any good (amounting to no more than minimal relief), the other 80% either took my money or jacked me up worse.
  • I was well on my way to recovery with a c5-6 herniation and left shoulder SLAP tear surgery, but noooooo.... The chiro had to just "straighten out" my entire back and now my sacral and lumbar discs are shot out and I have a t-12 compression fracture!

So, yes, definitely regret the chiropractor visits!
  • charry said:
    I regret overdoing it at work lifting people on my own and bending at the waist instead of the knees and crouching down.

I worked through the pain without getting Physiotherapy and pretty much overdid it at work.
    Somewhat similar situation here. I regret sticking around at my job and working through it when they treat(ed) me lower than dirt...

At least now I have a desk job, well at least for part of the week. Overtime is killer though :(
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 10/17/2012 - 9:27 PM
    I regret taking pain meds and muscle relaxer several times a year and working though the pain.
    I regret waiting and not demanding a xray that showed I needed a lumbar fusion but I do not regret getting a second opinion on my lower back that second surgeon found my compressed spinal cord in my neck with all most no issues
    I feel like I won the lottery as one more week and they said I would be a quad
    If you enlarge my profile picture it shows the compression on my cervical cord that was listed as severe.
    Its strange how things work out

I do not regret the five spine surgeries that I have had and would do any of them again if needed.
    I would be very careful about putting off surgery until permenate damage is done because it is not revesible

I have permenate cervical 'nerve damage and cervical cord damage plus many nerves damaged in the lumbàr area too
    But I do feel LUCKY

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Cadavear implants.

The story began....
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!