Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 level fusion

miss grumpymmiss grumpy Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hi can anyone tell me their experience of having a 2nd level fusion both in the lower part of the cervical spine, and can anyone explain what happens when the whole of the left cervical spine is damaged and coursing nerve compression please. i had a fusion 18 months ago at level c6/c7 and have just found out that the level above should have been fused at the same time as well and my osteoarthritis is causing a lot of damage, i wonder where my health is going. : (.

• its very draining being in pain all the time and the pain meds make me spaced out im out of work find even packing my shopping bag trouble-some, wish there was some kind of exercise apart from walking i could do that doesnt make the problem worse, and why is it when im in a warm country and not the uk i dont hurt so much? i wonder if i would have this much trouble if i moved to austrailia? not that that will happen. should prob have done this moan in the chat room but its empty, having spinal problems is such a downer!!!
    bye :H
  • Miss grumpy, I had a 4 level c3 to c7 on 12/19/11. I asked why the doctor wanted to do 4 levels and he responded that considering my condition and the length of time I've been going through this we should just do it all now. Made sense to me especially after seeing how so many people do 1 or 2 levels only to have the problem come back higher or lower in the future.

I suspect this is the case with you, I'm interested to know how many opinions were you able to get before the surgery? I'm on my 3rd doctor and counting the IME's I've had 5 different opinions. My injury is work related which resulted in the discovery of DDD and bulging discs, stenosis etc. My current doctor was one my companies work comp rep sent me two because their IME disagreed with my doctors recommendations. Turns out to be a good thing.

I am so far quite pleased with my recovery although I have good and bad days like most of us do. I do know that wet climates will cause pain with arthritis and other types of injuries because moisture causes swelling. That is of course my opinion you should get a doctors.

You've had some pretty serious injuries which all adds up. I would say seek as many opinions as you can before considering your next course of action, I don't know if that's allowed in the UK with your healthcare system or not but in the long run I'm glad I had all 4 levels done at one time to spare me more surgeries down the road.

Well off to my first pt appt we'll see how I hold up.

Take care and good luck.
  • hi david, thank you for replying, i had 3 different docs give the same opinion and that was that i would be fused at 2 levels it was only the top consultant who was my surgeon who decided to just fuse the 1 level he said he never fuses more than 1 level at a time, my new consultant took a look at the mri scan and said he cant understand why only 1 fusion was done, now that im about to have the next one up fused can you tell me how much movement is restricted, if any?
    Thanks again Tina

p.s hope pt went well. :)))
  • Hi Tina,

I have been fighting my Pain Game for about 6 years. It's all cervical spine related. I am now 63 years old. My entire Resume of Pain Game under "Rassy's Story" below, but briefly, I have arthritis, severe degen. disc disease in all cervical discs, bone spur removed at C7/T1 in 2008, 2 level fusion C5/6 to C6/7 in 2009 which left me with limited range of motion (Cervical Dystonia), pinched nerves, bone protursions, and chronic pain. I was always very active ... go to the Y, played volleyball, swam a mile 3 times a week, walked, and raised a daughter #:S . I am now under pain management with medications. As all of this evolved and progressed I had to learned to give up those things I enjoyed if I stood any chance of living pain free. Thankfully, within the past few months my pain dr and I have found a med combo that afford me some releif to feel functional again, TO A POINT. When I go beyond that point, I pay dearly.
    Getting to you question about mobility, since the 2 level fusion in 2009, I didn't think my neck would even move again. My neursurgeon had told me that the average healing time for this surgery of course varies from person to person. It has been about 2 1/2 years now and I believe with time and FINALLY getting reief from that intense continuous 10+ pain level that my body is learning that IT can relax a little. Pain wears me out faster that anything. Just take it one day at a time gal. Remeber ... slow went the turtle that won the race! Keep me updated. Here's a >:D< for warm thoughts. Stay strong. Joanne

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • hi joanne, thank you for your reply, it is the pain that does it isnt it. and all the other things in between like not being able to be free like we used to be.
    still remember the feeling of running down hills feeling as free as a bird, if i had known i would loose my gift to run i would of savored every moment more.
    Still, "on wards and up wards" as they say.

big hugs to you >:D<
  • Tina,

I'm sorry you're struggling at this point. You asked about flexibility. With a 4 level my flexibility has been diminished, but about the only time I notice it is when I'm backing out of a parking space or try to look up high at something. I just try to be careful and take it slowly.

I can only imagine how frustrating and sad it could make you to have such a drastic change for you. I could do aqua aerobics when I could never think of doing it on land.

I definitely feel more pain in colder weather and damp weather, so I understand your concerns about that.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • thank you karen, i never thought of aqua aerobics, i think i ll give it ago.
    Tina >:D<
  • Hi miss grumpy,

It is amazing how we can get so many different opinions from the same injury. I started my pt on friday and it went well. I do have a limited rom, mainly looking down/up and from side to side. lol. I knew I would so not overly concerned.

Interestingly enough while I was sitting in the waiting room another older gentlemen came in with a neck brack on ans we started talking. He was fused from c2 to c7 so I asked him who his doctor was and he told me. I was amazed because it was my old doctor who told be she couldn't help me because my discogram resulted in pain at 3 levels and she olny wanted to put a artifical disc in at c4, I'm just glad my wc/employer rep sent me for a second opinion. Amazing to me.

Anyway, thing are looking up and I'm getting better everyday. I would say ask questions about taking care of everything now so you don't have to go through all this again 3 years down the road.

Good luck and let us all know how it goes.
  • thank-you all for replying, it helps to hear that im not alone in this.
    Tina >:D<
  • Hi miss grumpy
    I'm in Australia..... I wish the warmer climate helped with the pain!! I'm facing 2 level fusion, I'm 27 and have never been fit or extremely active due to congenital fusion of c5c6. Like you I imagine being free and pain free, I'm so glad to find people on this site that can truly understand how debilitating these conditions can be 
  • hi rad1234, lol, it was australia that i was remembering being in, my son is up near darwin, and it was bliss, but when i went to see best friend in perth, the pain started again go figure! i think maybe its the climate?? its great on this site isnt it, unfortunatly i usually come on here when im at my lowest so the admin team must think im a right grumpy moo. lol.
    let me know how your double fusion goes?

Tina :)))