Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The Subtleties of Chronic Pain

airborne72airborne72 Posts: 245
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:00 AM in Chronic Pain
Fellow Sufferers:

Chronic pain has got me! Had me before and now it is back.

I sucked it up for decades but then submitted to a spinal fusion. Felt relief for a few months and then a new pain began to return. That's where I am now.

My surgeon says that my fusion is a failure and I am trying real hard to not personalize that! No one wants to be described as a failure.

Here's my statement/question. I have found that chronic pain is insidious, subtle and sublime, It sneaks in and stays with us. Over time we adapt and even accept it until we lose our sensitivity to its presence. It becomes us.

Other than the daily misery of this existence, another detriment is the fact that we lose our ability to measure its pain/debilitating effect on our lives. I am there.

Yesterday morning I had been sitting in a coffee shop and stood to leave when a young lady (stranger to me) ask me if she could ask me a question. I said yes. She wanted to know if she could pray for me, and if so for what. I was humbled and told her she could pray for my health. Later in the day I was in a fast food restaurant. While standing and waiting for my order a young employee in the kitchen asked if I was OK. I told him I was (another of those consistent social lies that we tell).

Both of these situations were emotionally touching. These were strangers expressing concern for a stranger. However, both of these incidents caused me to "reassess" my current physical condition. I am back in that position of trying to decide whether or not to submit to surgery. And just as I was before, chronic pain invades our bodies in such small increments that we don't notice its effects. Others do, and that is what I am hearing on a much more frequent basis.

Thought I would share that and see if others are walking the same "bumpy/uphill" path.
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    Eyes never lie.

People can talk a talk, walk a walk, etc at times to gain sympathy from others or maybe just to let others know how much pain they are in.

However,

Just looking into someone's eyes, you can see the pain they are in, you dont have to say a word...
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have been amazed at hoe many "angels" have shown up to help.. And I am finally learning to ask for help when I need it! That was really a challenge.

Wendy
  • For me, your comments were very thought-provoking.

I think people can easily pick up on our eyes/facial expressions as well as body language, even though we may be trying very hard to 'hide' how we are truly feeling.

It will be interesting to read other contributions to your post. Thanks you for sharing.
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    No mater how we try to cover it up. Our face and more importantly our eyes, give us away! Yesterday my bro inlaw (and good friend) came over. and I was sitting at the kitchen table. He didn't see me walk or even get up. And he said, your really having a bad day aren't you? Today my son came by. And befor he left. he gave me a hug, and said, hang in there Dad.
    Later today my bro inlaw came buy. And he said man you look worse than yestrday.
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.