Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neurontin and emotions

julie47jjulie47 Posts: 104
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Pain Medications
Have any of you who take neurontin ever had it impact your emotions?

Sometimes when it take it, it makes me feel I could cry really hard.

Ever hear of this happening to you or someone you know?

• I've been on Neurontin for over 12 years and it has not had any effect on my emotions.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Me either. It has made me gain weight but has never messed with my emotions
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    No, been taking Neurontin for almost 3 years now. Never had a bit of any emotional change with it.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I've been taking an increased dose of Neurontin non-stop and noticing it has a flat-effect on emotions - - not depressed but flattens out my up feelings if that makes sense ?

Been wanting to ask - - those of you taking Neurontin, did you have the loss of taste, my everthing eat and drink is not appealing anymore.

Past week I've been on 300 mg X 3 times a day every 5-6 hrs

Any thoughts on this ?

I'm like not enjoying eating at all anymore - - oh man - - don't mess with my food - - it's the only thing I can enjoy these days ! LOL !
  • Forgot to ask - -

Never been on Neurontin long term (previously only for nerve pain in episodes every couple of months 1 - 2 wks.

Do you have to keep increasing dosage when on it long-term to get the relief of nerve pain?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    while dealing with my nerve pain, my doctor started me out with a low dosage (300mg per day) and work me up to about 2800mg at day.

Later on, we reduced this to 1200mg a day, which is where I have been for the past 2+ years. This has been a medication that I did not need to increase as my body adjusted.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I love food and the different subtleties of taste and I found no interference from the Neurontin. Also there's no effect on my emotions in any regard from it. I have been taking 1600mg every 8 hours for several years and if I decrease the amount at all, my legs start to hurt until the level is brought back up. Your body will only use a certain amount of the Neurontin and anything above that it just basically flushes.

• Hello Julie, I have been on Nuerontin for over 2 years 600mg 3 X a day. Although I have had no emotional effects, I can deffinately relate to the taste issues. Seems to me, that everything I eat is way overly salty or just bad tasting, which has me eating WAY to many sweets. I am constantly craving goodies. I cannot connect this directly to neurontin myself but I have seen where others say the same. I am very fortunate that I do not gain weight easily but I am probably gonna be in deep doodoo with my PCP when he sees my bloodwork results for my chlorest/triglyc counts