Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle Spasms During The Day and Severe Cramps At Night

bfkatzbbfkatz Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I have been reading this forum for a while and have decided to post my frustrations with the hopes that someone might have answers that has suffered with these same symptoms. I have tried the conventional route now I am open to anything, for the most part. My quality of life is suffering and I am frustrated.

I am past the point of exhaustion with severe spasms and leg cramps. Earlier this year I was diagnosed with Stenosis, you know it’s bad when the dr. Walk's In and apologizes after looking at my MRI of my spine.

I have been through Hell and back with spinal issues, unfortunately now I feel like I am at a point of questions and no good answers. I have not had to fuse any of my lower levels yet and my current Dr. would like to now do a fusion, with 4 back surgery's and a fusion on my Neck level c5/c6 and age of 51 it doesn't seem that It is getting any easier.

My current symptoms were described in November to the current Doctor and the only real discomfort I described to him was day time spasms which do not have pain for the most part, it's the muscles locking up in certain parts of my legs from moving the wrong way or when I exert any physical labor like move something,etc.
My surgery was a laminectomy and was performed in early Nov my Doctor said that he wanted to clean up the canals that could be creating pressure on the nerves generating the cramps and spasms. Some of my other symptoms were drop foot on my right side. We discussed the issues but again my main reason and what I emphasized was my spasms and severe cramps.

Quickly three weeks after the surgery I was fine with symptoms being better. Went to visits the Dr. and explained it felt better, the next day everything returned with a vengeance. The cramps were back so bad I would get out of bed three to five time a night. And the spasms were all day and severe. You could look at my legs and watch the spasms in my legs like I had snakes crawling inside my legs.
again not to use up too much space, the spasms and cramps have been going on now for 5-6 years, I have been tested for MS with an EMG in my arms (not very comfortable) and nothing was found, I have been to a nutritionist and he has not been able to help. and I am now at the end of my wits.

I feel like it is definitely neurologic but have no idea what is causing this and or what to do. My doctor now wants me to have another EMG in my legs and has put me on a anti Spasm medicine and it doesn't seem to be working at all.
Again I apologize for writing so much and I only told a short version, I am desperate for relief as I am not able to sleep comfortably as I move my legs lock up, I am taking so much Advil which seems to help very minimal and would like help knowing why and what is causing this????

The back surgery that I just had could have been avoided or if I had known that this was not going to alleviate the spams and cramps I would have passed on going down this path.
:D :D :D :D

• I hear you.

Lyrica has taken care of my night leg cramps. I'm talking CRAMPS. Hold your breath and wonder if your heart will come out of your chest from so much pain. Worse than childbirth.

I also made a soft "roll" with a towel and some quilt batting and I put it under my thighs just below the buttocks.

Maybe this would help?

Stay strong, and live one day at a time.

• Welcome to Spine Health!

It sounds like you have various problems in your spine.

Are the problems you are having now, mostly in your neck or your lumbar spine?

I also get spasming in my legs and around my abdomen and back as I wake and start moving early in the morning, and also if I get up after sitting for about an hour. I believe that this is called spasticity and that it can be caused by spinal cord damage. I do also get frequent cramping in my calves and feet, especially during the night.

I have been told that it is probably being caused by cord compression I have at two levels in my neck, but as I also have cord compression in my thoracic spine and lumbar problems, it is difficult to be sure what is causing it. Like you, I am sure that it is neurological and that it is not normal!

I have another appointment with a new neurological surgeon next week, and I hope that he might be able to explain what is going on.

Other symptoms I get are headaches, neck, shoulder and arm pain, tingling and numbness in my hands and feet, and legs. Also tightening and spasms around my chest.

I hope that the EMG testing of your legs will give you some answers. I had EMG testing of my arms and they said that it showed that I had compression in my neck.

I had a laminectomy and fusion in my lumbar spine two years ago.

Please do let us know if your discover what is going on with you.
    You will find this a friendly place to meet others going through similar problems. It is always nice to know that we are not alone.

• Have you obtained a significant dx yet? If so, what was the outcome?
    I was born with ortho issues, was never supposed to be able to walk but endured, walked & ballet & gymnastics & swimming, etc, been doing pt and various things since age 5. Dx 20 yrs ago with DJD and DDD, when the doc walked in and said you have a serious problem I laughed as I thought he was joking. I was about 30 at the time. Also, dx with fibromyalgia by PCP at same time. I worked from age 14 to 6 yrs ago. I had no insurance once I could no longer work and so no treatment for years as docs don't like to treat poor people. Finally won disability and have gotten slightly better care with Medicare, though can't obtain secondary insurance having too many pre-existing conditions.
    My spinal stenosis seems to be evolving. I now have spasms so bad they make my back arch and depending on how I'm positioned is which apppendages are affected. I often lose use of arm, hand, etc and legs cramp terribly. Moved to Florida as weather was supposed to help but only makes it all worse.
    Can't find spine/neuro to take seriously. Last visit to pt, she wanted me to go to emergency room as I came in in pain. Doc removing me from "addictive" pain killers with no substitution. Looking for location that has compassionate care and decent docs.
    I'm allergic to sulfa, nsaids, antidepressants,etc so difficult to manage pain.
    I am open to suggestions.
    Also, got hit by car little over a year ago while walking and now have short blast blinding headaches, can no longer walk without assist nor drive. Oh, and also have myoclonic jerks and "unspecified white dot on brain."
    Good luck to all, peace, patty :)
  • bryton08bbryton08 Posts: 1
    edited 10/06/2014 - 6:37 AM
    I have bad muscle spasms during the day in my legs, arms an abdomen, legs are numb from knees down an hard to walk ,constant back pain, from almost 30 years of changing tires, till i broke my knee. No insurance, little money, they call it selfemployed. Advil helps some, but for nite leg cramps i take about 1/2 cup tonic water with quinnine, it works great so i can sleep, it's an old time remedy passed on by country people. Anybody have any help for bad back pain, without surgery, let me know
This discussion has been closed.