Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Preparation for surgery

AndyGMDAAndyGMD Posts: 5
Hey folks, today an MRI showed I have a ruptured L4 disk which has caused some nerve damage in my left leg (it cannot support my weight since 2 weeks ago) and as of yesterday has been causing my bladder to not function properly. The surgery will be done via scope but I do not yet have the doctors notes so I cannot provide the technical name he mentioned ).

I am wondering what kinds of things I will need in the house to help me avoid doing anything post-op to further the damage.

I work at home on the computer and he mentioned a special ergonomic chair might allow me to work some during the 6-8 week recovery time - but I have searched and am unsure exactly what I need.

Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

• Andy i wish you the best luck in your upcoming surgery.. Just curious have u battled sciatica for a long time or just showed up 1 days and it was a mess..

Anyways if u can find out what type of surgery i am sure that would help.. It sounds like its just one level and if they are using a scope it cant be that invasive.. My close friend and family memebers have had fusions and they were walking within a week.. So i think u will be fine.. best of luck and please keep us updated
  • Thank you for the kind thoughts!

I will find out the type of surgery and post when I know.

Does anyone know what kind of chair the doctor was referring to, it is supposed to take some of the weight off of your back by using your knees - he described it as kind of half sitting/half standing and said I would be able to use that ( I know I probably should have gotten the name of the chair from him when I saw him but it was over shadowed by the 100+ other questions I had at the time ).

• So the name of the procedure as spelled out to me by the nurse at the surgical center is:

Left lumbar 4th lumbar 5th extra foraminal matrex diskectomy

Does that mean anything to anyone? Basically just trying to get a feel for how bad the recovery will be, will I need special tools available like grabbers, shower seats, etc...

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Hi Andy, and welcome to S.H. forums. Type post op must haves. Into the blue search box at the top of this page. And you should get all of the information you need.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Thanks Jim, the post you referenced helped alot, didn't help my wallet any but I was expecting to have to shell out for some stuff. I'm feeling a little more prepped now - thanks again!

• Hey folks, so my surgery came and went, about 2 weeks ago from tomorrow.

The first couple of days postop were lousy, as expected and then suddenly my back felt great on day 3 and I had no leg pain at that point. Only a few days later the pain and weakness returned in my left leg and persists to this point. My doc told me the nerve had been _crumpled_ under bits of broken disk so he expects the nerve is angry and will take awhile to heal ( my leg problems had only been present for about a month so I am optimistic about the nerve recovering ).

So all of that seems normal, but then just a few days after I noticed the leg pain and weakness returned ( around the first week postop ) I started to feel a burning sesnsation around my ankle and shin area - feels somewhat like a sunburn, hurts quite a bit just to a touch and putting a shoe on just makes it rather unpleasant. This is an entirely new sensation for me and it makes me worried - have not yet had a followup with the doc, thats coming this week but I as hoping to hear words of encouragement that this new sensation is also probably within the range of normal for my situation.

Thanks folks!