Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Some good news

CertifriedCCertifried Posts: 91
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Chronic Pain
I had my RFA (right 1/18, left 2/1) and, as usual, it takes some random number of weeks to actually take effect. Which was always odd, the nerves are burned, destroyed, dead, gone. Why is there pain? Best answer I ever got was "it's like getting a limb cut-off, it still itches for a while". I guess there's also some trauma to the area. In any event, it takes a few weeks and I've been waiting patiently. The pain had been pretty bad last week, since I was anxious to get off the 50mcg/hr Fentanyl and asked my doctor to put me on the 25mcg/hr. Finally, Saturday I woke up with no pain. It's weird for it to happen so fast, Friday in pain, the next day no pain. Sunday was just as good. Monday wasn't as bad as last week, but it was more painful. I'm in an IT job and this sitting all day is hard on my back, especially if I'm not sitting like I'm supposed to. Overall though, I think the pain is starting to diminish in the lumbar. It makes the SI joint pain stand out a bit more, but that isn't (yet) as sharp of a pain.

• That really IS great news! And I especially like to hear it since I'll be going for my first set of RFAs on 4/13 and the second set on 4/27. (three levels each side) I started another thread asking about it because I wasn't sure what to expect.

So thank you for posting this! It makes me hopeful that I could soon be pain free. =D>
  • I hate to whine, or be so negative, but those "good" days didn't really last long.

Don't worry though, RobinR! It's not the facet joints that were denervated. The RFA worked, but it's hard to tell how much. This is all SI pain and what feels like some pain a bit higher than where the RFA was at.

About a year and a half ago, I told my doctor that the pain felt lower than usual. After some diagnostics and another MRI, it was confirmed that I had problems lower than what I'd had previously, so the SI RFA was done. Those nerves have grown back (it's been almost a year). Now it feels like I might have some issues higher, in addition to the SI flaring back up. My doctor also wouldn't do all the L joint AND the SI joint at the same time last month, too much to handle he said :(

It's hurting enough that I've pretty much decided I'll have to find a new doctor and go through the entire process of getting established. My usual doctor left the practice he was at, and it will take him quite a few months to establish his own practice. He couldn't tell me where he was going due to non-compete agreements, but I know he's not moving, so it will be local. It's just so frustrating! I know the RFA works well for me, they've been great in the past. But when other levels are in pain beyond what was burned, it's still the same intensity of pain.

sorry, just had to vent because I'm having a bad day :(
This discussion has been closed.