Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What are your side effects from cortisone injections?

LA_runner_chickLLA_runner_chick Posts: 91
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I'm scheduled to have another epidural next week, and I'm just curious about the side effects other people have had with them.

So what did you experience, and how long did they last?

• I just had t45/ t5/6 blocked and injected with some mild form of steroids last Friday. I have had these kinds of injections done several times over the years but that was the first time in 2 years.

Flushing face, bouts of excitment, shorter than average fuse, harder time sleeping at night, sudden burst of energy but nothing major. Some people will tell you the gain weight (not true) from one injection. If you were taking oral steroids then probably yes, at the most I might retain some water but I have not had an increased appetite or anything that I could say made me gain weight :)

Good news is this Selective Nerve Root Block worked 100% for me (until it wore off). The steroids have helped my pain a little (it was up to about an 8 with meds and now it back to a 6 with meds).

I have had ESI's that did nothing, and some that worked beautifully. It was worthit to me this time as a test to locate my pain generators, I now can hopefully get the Spinal Cord Stiumlator Trial.

Hang In There,

• I had one epidural in my L5-S1 and only had about 2 hours of relief. The next 2 days were horrible. My back pain flared up and I was not able to do a thing.
  • I have had many injections and some were beter then the other!

Not every time do they hit the correct spot to get the best pain releif,
    If they miss it sometimes it can just agrivate the place they missed,

I never had long lasting releif but when you are so bad that you are ready to go to er then its worth it for me for it takes few weeks before pain returns just as bad,

Side affect same as julie mentioned above, Nothing serious to worry about,

Only long term use will usualy cause weight gain or cause retaining water and such when taking oral prednizone steroids,

Tison. If you only got 2 hour releif then that would of only been from the medication they inject before the injection itself,

Could very well mean they missed the spot all together or they not even injection the correct level,

These injections are not just for releif but to test what level it hellps to direct them to the source of the problem,

Hit and miss usualy untill finaly sometimes they get the right nerve,

Best of luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hi Alex

The Dr's were pretty possitive that they had hit the correct spot due to the fact that I had no leg pain for the first 2-3 hours. My injection was done with the aide of realtime xray imageing as well.

With the negative affect I had and the fact that the shot and other expenses involved was 2500 bucks I decided that another shot was not in my future.
  • Most injections are now done with live exray image, I get a live view of my artificial disc and fusion each time i go to have any procedure,

All i can do is shake my head every time i look at the screen and see what a mess they made of my spine and the pain and complications it brought on,

Well if i had to pay 2500 bucks to get an injection i would not do it either for even a few weeks releif, Not only would i not pay that kind of money out of pocket, I would not be able to pay that kind of money for each injection,

Even with medicare insurance that covers 80% of procedures the on going treatment for life of a spine patient being on disability can destroy a person finacialy even having to pay 20 % because its not a 1 time deal, For many its on going and monthly dr visits for just to receive there prescription ads up along with multiple injections each year,

Many times injection is just a small part of this spine complication before coming up with correct findings that many times leads to surgery,

Best of luck,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,