Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anybody else?

nurselynnaiennurselynnaie Posts: 167
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone I went to the doctors yesterday and finally he says are you ready to get those screws out? Ummm been ready since May when this started.
Anyway My question is has anyone else had the screw removed ? Mine are loose causing increase pain my fusion is considered failed due to no bone growth around the vertebra, the cages did have bone growth keeping them in place so he says hopefully it will be strong enough to hold everything in place.. not thrilled about that comment.
He also said he would put more bone there and we will use the bone growth stimulator to see if we can get it to grow where it was suppose to... I am of course very nervous as this will be my third surgery although I am sure it will be awhile waiting for the workmans comp approval.
Can anyone help me ? What is recovery time? Is the pain much worse then the initial surgery? Will it work??? I am putting myself through this to go back to work because I am so lost not working. Some suggest just keep going like I am until it is absolutely needed, some say don't do it at all, but I feel like I lost alot of my life since I knocked everything loose at work and I am so lost.. any information would be greatly appreciated , I know none of us are the same but at lease a idea of what to expect would be great

• Hi Sheryl,
    Understanding that each of our situations is different, I'll tell you mine. I had the Super Deluxe Model of lumbar surgery in 2010. Last summer I had a sudden onset of horrific pain. I had to go the route of steroids first. No help. I then had a CT scan and xrays and they showed a problem. (I can't have MRI's.) I finally had surgery and two screws were removed on my right side (where the pain was) at L5-S1. I remember in the recovery room, before I ever moved, feeling the relief. My pain was gone.
    I have fused fine. No problem there. This surgery was a "piece of cake" compared to the Super Deluxe Model I had in 2010. I spent three nights in the hospital. It has really helped my recovery to get those screws out. And my kids (now adults) are still yucking the fact that their mother had a few loose screws.
  • Hi and thank you for your response.. I am hoping mine is just as easy just a little worried because it is so far post op but hey people do it everyday and survive just fine.. I hear you about the loose screws whenever I do something a little crazy or stupid I get the it is ok mom you have some screws loose and you have papers to prove it .. KIDS lol
    Have a great week
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Hardware removal is a piece of cake. Take a lot of calcium supplement 3 times a day.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
This discussion has been closed.