Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Covering dressing to allow shower

BillOregonBBillOregon Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Had a double XLIF at L2-3 and 3-4 on Monday. Doc says dressing can't get wet until three days have passed. I am desperate enough for a shower that I am thinking of duct-taping Saran Wrap over the incision area to waterproof it. Anyone been nutty enough to try this? I know, ripping off the tape won't be fun, but hey ...

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    that required the incision site to be clean and dry.
    We would use a plastic food bag and tape it up with waterproof tape.

But I would think that the duct tape would work. Heck, this could add to the thousand things you can do with Duct tape
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • cover it up very well and tape it well (even overtape it if you need too), i've done that. just remember that when you pull off the tape it will pull on your skin near your incision (owie) so pull it off slowly. lol
  • i've used tape before to keep dry an area, so i could take a shower.
    But someone posted on here a few months ago that they wrapped themselves in saran wrap. then there is no tape to pull off. Just go around your back around front to your belly, do that a few times and it should work.

Hope that helps ya.
  • would be perfect. They come in different sizes and you can use a couple if the largest isn't big enough.

They are very expensive and, if you are in the UK, they can be obtained by an NHS prescription. If you're in the USA, then I'm sure they are available, or something similar.

Enjoy your shower - that first one after surgery makes you feel sooooo good.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Hi Bill :wave: happy to her your doing well enough that you care about stinking ;)

I buy my Tagederm patches on ebay. I use the Fentanyl patch (a pain patch) and I change it every 48 hrs, so I need to keep it covered. But as was said those buggers are costly. Mine come in a sealed original box. If you need the name of my ebay seller - just shoot me a message :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm now within 24 hours of the green light for a shower, so will straggle along one more day with shower-wand shampoo and Wet Ones. The constipation is worse than the lack of a shower anyway. Amazing the things you're willing discuss with total strangers when in such discomfort, isn't it!
    Bill, feeling like he has swallowed a soccer ball ...
  • Hi Bill,

I taped a plastic bag over the incision and then wrapped my torso in Saran wrap too. It seemed like some water always got under the Saran wrap, but the incision under the plastic bag was okay. The bag was probably better taped than the Saran wrap. I had to try keep the incision dry each time I showered so I always made myself look like an art installation. When I wasn't washing my hair I'd just stand back from the water and stick my hand and washcloth under the water so I could try keep as much water away from the incision as possible.

As far as going to the bathroom goes, have you tried coffee? I don't normally drink caffeine so I had coffee for the first few days after surgery and it worked like a charm. :) I also ate dried fruit and high-fiber bread, so it was probably a combination of all of those things, actually.

Good luck!
  • Potty issues - most of us have been there ;)

Here are the tried & worked ideas from my own experiences.

1. Coffee - as was posted above.

2. Oral cookies - seriously my body must hate them as I gotta go within a few minutes of eating them.

3. see number 2 (no pun intended) reason for greasy foods - greasy pizza works the best

4. Fiber gummies - sold at walmart look and taste like gummy bears.

TMI (too much information) but in case you need it I will share. If you have troubles reaching to clean yourself once the above goal is met. I use a hot water bottle filled with warm water and the douche end (unused lol) as it has a lot of different homes in it in different directions and my bum is clean as a whistle. Others have used a turkey baster. Hey what ever gets the job done :)

I know you are a fairly new member so if I don't see you around again I'll know I crossed that line ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Bill I agree it is funny - but it seriously was used by a member here who was home alone and could not think of what else to use and said it worked pretty darn good ;)