Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

There's life after 360 fusion

doug260ddoug260 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone. I just wanted to let people who are considering surgery that they're not all horror stories. I am a 38 year old police officer who had a 360 fusion (L4-S1) 2 years ago. I spent about 2 days in the hospital and another 6 days in a rehab. After 6 weeks I returned to work full time on light duty (desk). At 12 weeks I was back to full duty and worked a 12 hour foot post for a marathon in our town. I won't lie and say I wasn't sore but the point is I was able to do it. After about 6 months everything was back to normal (except some unsightly scars on my stomach , but I'm a police officer not an Abercrombie model) I still get sore when it's really damp out or I sit for a long time or I strain my back a little more than I should but it's nowhere near as bad as it was before the surgery and it goes away pretty quickly. I go to the gym 3-4 times a weeks and do about 40 minutes on the treadmill at the fastest walk I can do without running at a decent incline. If I have to run at work, I will but I'm not going to push it at the gym where I don't have to. Be smart with your new back. I was very concerned that this surgery would end my career but it ended up saving it. I have 17 years on the job now and don't see how I could have made it to 25 without the surgery. The last thing I would like to say is that it very true that people who have had success rarely come back to this site. They have moved on which is why you don't hear from them. For all those still suffering, I wish you the best of luck and sincerely hope you find relief.
advertisement

Comments

• Thank you for the encouragement. I just went through the exact same surgery. I posted my positive experience on this site as well earlier this week. I am 4 1/2 weeks out and I'm feeling great. Everyone can't believe I even had back surgery because I'm walking better and have more energy than preop. Surgery was rough, but since I've been home i forced myself to get up and walk every hour . I do PT 3 times a week and I walk and do my at home exercises religiously. I am grateful to have been blessed with a smooth recovery so far. I'm just staying positive and as active as I can be so hopefully I can come back 2 years down the road with a similar story as yours. Thanks again and I wish you continued health :)
This discussion has been closed.