Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is there a light at the end of he tunnel?

DarlaDDarla Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone I am new here. I have been reading all stories for a while, I have to admit this site has made me feel good knowing I am not alone! Let me tell u a little bit about me. I am a 53 yr old mom and grandma, i have L2 L3 L4 degenerative disc and L5 is herniated. I have had 3 esi's
and that hasn't worked. I am wearing a butrans 10mcg per hour patch, and percocet for break through pain! My pm thinks I need to see the surgeon, also talking about doijg a discogram whaever that is! I feel very frustrated! Looking foward to swapping stories with u all! Thanks for this site I feel we are gonna have a great relationship. Debbie ~X(

• Hi Debbie :wave: & welcome to SH :)

We have some similar injuries/damage.

I am a Nana too! Grandkids are the BEST! :D They are the reason I keep fighting to have a new normal life.

I hope you find some people here who can answer your specific questions/concerns.

I am just a "greeter" and offer my support, as though I am pretty messed up I don't know a lot on the medical end unless it is the same issue I have.

Is your pain under control? If you don't mind how did you get a injured back?

PS: You have 2 posts that are the same, you may want to go back and remove the other one, since it is a double post and people won't be sure which one to respond to ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • is a diagnostic test where the surgeon/anaesthetist injects your disc(s) to see if they are pain generators or not.

X-ray imaging is used to make sure the injection goes into the right place and it can be painful - but if it is, they should inject some anaesthetic to make you more comfortable pretty much straight away.

It's a necessary evil to make sure it's a disc that's causing your pain and not something else. It doesn't take too long to complete, and it's according to how many discs they test.

I had a discogram before having fusion surgery in 2010 - but I have since found out that my continuing pain is coming from scar tissue damage, sciatica and sacro-iliac joint dysfunction too, so I am not as pain-free as I would have hoped :(

Of course, I'm not a doctor, so this is only my personal opinion. I'm sure if I have explained it incorrectly, there are other Spine Health members who can give more accurate information about discograms.

I really hope you can get some pain relief quickly so you can resume your normal daily activities. Will you let us all know how you get on please?
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Thanks for the welcome :) To be honest I think my injuries have been cummalative over the years, just got to the point that I could not handle the pain anymore. Just started pm in august, and so far nothin is doing the job! Hoping to get feedback from you all and hope maybe I can help too! Ttyl Debbie
  • Debbie, why is your Dr not giving you different pain meds to try since these ones are not working?

I had to go through several before we found the ones for me.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Glad you found this site..the best site ever!

So sorry your pain is still not controlled. As post above...curious what is up with doc not being a little more aggressive with trying to get you at a more functional level.

Controlling the pain really isn't easy and I think it's like a full time job and it's like trial and try and again and again and again. Good communication with pain doc very valuable. When I was new to my chronic pain situation...I almost felt is was like my fault if med didn't work and felt so depressed.

But fully telling doc how I was feeling surprised me when he could take something I didn't give much thought to and change the med and then more effective.

Like many people here at SH, my pain meds take the edge off, pain never completely goes away...but it is under control and that is priceless.

As you, some of the injections for me were ineffective. Esp for the thoracic area...the injections made all my symptoms worse. So far only injections for lower spine have helped me.

Best of luck to you as you continue working with your doc for relief. Please keep us posted on how you are doing!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Debbie,
    Even for those brave souls here for whom the light is almost extinguished we do have hope, they may well be differing objects from our starting point but we are focussed never the less, it is unhelpful to put any timescale on that fading as we all differ and as individuals many here will go on to better things, be that pain managing, surgery or alternative options. You have to find what works for you and do everything possible to include more of that in your strategy.

For the most part we all exhaust each element of any remedy before moving incrementally to the next one, only you know when you have given each aspect adequate time to be effective, I always liked to think of that time as an opportunity to clarify my next move and work with those best placed to help you though comprehensive evaluation of the preferred route, through consultation. As Savage said, pain is one step forward and two back, the key thing is to keep trying.

Welcome to the home of pain, where knowing someone understands does help.

Be kind to yourself. John.
  • oops posted in the wrong place sorry
  • Going in for si injection tomorrow! We will see how that goes. Was just put on butrans patch 10mcg per hour, with percs for breakthrough pain. Have any of u tried this patch?
  • Hi Debbie :wave: My thoughts & prayers go with you. Please update when you can :)

My neighbor uses that patch and says it helps her a lot, I tried it it did nothing for me. I hope it helps you :D

This discussion has been closed.