Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Treatments Outside The US

MarvinMarvin Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It seems that the US is still in the dark ages when it come to spine treatments. Currently the FDA has denied North Americans ozone disk therapy, DiskoGel, nucleus implant and the best disk replacements. Americans are going to India, Europe and South America for treatments.

We need to pressure the FDA to start working on behalf of Americans instead of the medical industry and drug industry. We have suffered long enough.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    Yws, there is no question that the USA Health and Medical field does not jump on some of the newer breakthroughs.

But that is for a reason, and over the years this has proven to be a good thing.

If you or someone you know wants to have a treatment that is not approved by the FDA in USA, then perhaps visiting that other country could be in order.

All systems have their good and their bad. Its up to us as individuals to decide what is best for us.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • the us are hesitant to do risky procedures on peoples spine {like ADR] because there have been so many horror stories and many consultants are not capable of doing the surgery .there are only a handful of consultant in the uk that have a good name when doing things like ADR /fusion {i know they do fusions world wide\\] but i would not rush to a forging place to get you spine fixed .it took me 5 consultant to find one that was capable of fixing a spine that i have been told was beyond repair ...proceed with caution
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • yes it is mostly the chop shops overseas for things such as ADR that really give bad name to promising technology. FDA is far from perfect they in past have approved things that were a terrible choice and caused deaths. I know for instance some things are coming on slowly for instance many doc at Texas Back Inst. a very large spine treatment center are practicing "refuse to fuse" due to the problems down the line. I myself would love to try some of the less invasive newer injections but the cost is crazy.
    The spine is nothing like the knee but if you look back at when the first surgeons were doing orthoscopic they were thought to be crazy, open procedure was only way. Spine is headed to a better place, sadely it will be past my prime. But spine is and will always be the most unpredictable of surguries.

Just to add, ADR done right is an amazing thing to not have any motion loss and problems with adjacent degen.
    Herniated T6-7, multiple herniations in cervical, tears in T5-T8. Stenois at levels and smorls nodes from thoracic thru lumbar