Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Testosterone Replacement

DogzruleDDogzrule Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi Everyone,

Please allow me to introduce myself; I am a 50 year old male. I have been reading posts for many years on a very frequent basis. Up until now I have not made any posts as I did not feel that I had anything of note to add but I have found great solace reading about other's like myself that are living with chronic pain. At age 12 Dr's identified that I had scoliosis and should plan to make my living with my brain and not my back.

The highlights of my last MRI state;
Severe Scoliosis and Spondylosis with concentric bulging at L2-L3,L3-L4,L4-L5,L4-S1 with extrinsic pressure on the thecal sac and encroachment on the intervertebral formina bilaterally and foraminal stenosis. The main problem I have had was pain shooting into both legs.

About five years ago my back problems became more than a nuisance that somewhat limited my activity to requiring that I be treated by a pain management doctor. I have gotten some relief from caudal injections for the past four years. The injections, 12.5Mcg fentanyl patch and swimming have enabled me to be maintain up until about a year ago.

My pain increased and started to define my every activity. I was constantly tired and lacked the zest for life that I had always pursued. My muscles and joints hurt all over my body not just limited to my lower back and radiating pain into my legs. Dr’s tested for MS, Lupus and many others with no answer to why I felt horrible. I really did know what I was going to do I felt that bad. I am certain that many of reading this can relate to how I felt.

Finally, after specifically asking my GP to test for low testosterone they identified that my levels were extremely low at less than 100ng/dL. Almost immediately after starting on Androgel I starting feeling better. Literally after the third day my joints and muscle aches started to go away. Now after a month of treatment my energy levels and outlook of life have improved dramatically.

Only after the fact did I realize that it is very common for men on pain medications to have low testosterone.

Thanks to all that have been out there on this board to make me feel better and help accept that I am not alone

• i also have low testerone-30 is my level, basically nothing. i took androgel and sometimes i feel like a 15 year old, and sometimes it does nothing to my libedo. i have also heard that pain meds reduce testerone levels, i don't like them because i gain weight with them. they are steroids and i gained 7 lbs in about 3 days so i stopped. i also have has the shots which seem to work better. i don't like driving 20 miles a month to get a shot though. shots really make the old libedo go in over drive. oh well
    good luck
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • i have low testosterone too, although mine is in the 300s, but for a 20 yr old it is low :p
  • jderosambeau1jjderosambeau1 Posts: 2
    edited 07/11/2015 - 11:32 AM
    i have degeneratice disc desease and arthritis. when it gets agravated im layed up for few days on pain meds. thinking about trying test cypianate . any suggestions maybe help with pain

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
  • My back pain of over ten years was greatly improved when I started testosterone injections. I do them myself once per week. Athletes have long used testosterone to help recover from injuries. Most back doctors I have seen are unaware of the connection between hormones and pain. They never ask why I kept getting injured. They just treated the symptoms.

One point to note is that testosterone is only one hormone that can impact back pain. I take an estrogen blocker to prevent some of the side effects of testosterone. When I take too much, all my joints ache. I also take another med to block the conversion of testosterone to DHT. DHT causes hair loss and acne. It also prevents some of the muscle gains from testosterone and reduces it's effectiveness against back pain.  

I suggest asking your doctor to test for all 3 until you are on the right combination of mess for you. I didn't get lasting results until my hormones were properly balanced. I haven't needed any pain killers since.

btw, opiate pain killers increase your sensitivity to pain if taken for the long term. There are many bad doctors out there who know very little about the mess they prescribe. They have very little training on meds so do your own research and don't follow advice blindly....
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,805
    Zebra, a PM I really love says prescribing pain meds without testing for  and replacing testosterone if needed is a losing battle if you are to properly treat pain.  Proper hormone levels is one of the bodies best defenses against pain naturally, if that is off common sense tells you so would you ability to fight pain.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.