Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What can I expect - T10 Osteotomy & Extension of Fusion

Irish55IIrish55 Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just a quick history: I have osteoporosis and have experienced fractures at many different levels of my spine. Currently I am fused from about T3-S1 with fusion also of my SI joints. I've been having pain at about the level of mid spine between my shoulder blades and also pain in my lower back, pelvis, electrical shock-like pain at the base of my spine and going down my right leg. I have lost control of my bowels on 2 occasions and currently cannot really feel when my bladder is full.

After MRIs & CT scans my spine surgeon tells me that I have a fracture/collapse at T1-T3 and a collapse/fracture at T10. The T10 collapse is an old finding which up until now hadn't caused me any pain.

He has advised that I need to have an extension of my existing fusion to include C4-T4 and an osteotomy at the T10 level. I've read about osteotomies on the internet but stil not sure I understand what it entails. If anyone has had these surgeries can you tell me what to expect as far as post-operative pain and length of recovery time? Will I need to wear a neck brace? The last surgery I had was fusion from about T5-T7 (I think) and it was one of the most painful operations I've ever had. This upcoming surgery will be my 13th in 10 years. Any advice? Thanks so much!

• I'm getting Surgery on the 12th of March to fuse the C6-C7. Reading some of these post, Im getting a little freaked out about what to expect when I get home. I coach baseball and thought I would be back to coaching in a week, that seems not the case. I made a commitment to coach and don't want to let anyone down. I haven't had my pre-op appt yet so again have tons of questions unanswered.
    Is there anything that someone could think that they wish they had when you got home from the surgery to make life easier? How long did it take before you could move on your own? Any advice and recommendations would be most helpful. Thank you for your time and support in advance.