Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

my back, right leg and foot...

lisalivesllisalives Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, I've been in a lot of lower back and right leg pain since end of january after bending over to pick up something from floor.

I've had an MRI that says mild disc desiccation and concentric disc bulge at l4 l5 with no compression of nerve roots demonstrated.

I've seen a neurosurgeon. He sees no reason for concern by looking at MRI but does think I've injured a nerve.

I'm pretty concerned because I'm in a lot of pain and my right foot is all but useless. I have to swing my leg out to keep from tripping.

He sent me for an Epidural steroid injection a couple days ago and the pain is worse, but I was told to expect that. I'm scheduled for another in 2 weeks.

Right now I'm just in pain and scared. This has changed my whole life.
This site seems very informative and supportive.

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i can read from your post that you are in severe pain. sometimes after an epidural, the pain will be worse for several days after! then you should expect some relief..if this is not the case, then please contact your doctor..please know that you are not alone and that this is a great place to make new friends and gather information!! stop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • Hi Lisa :wave: & welcome to SH :)

I am NOT a dr or in the health field in any way. but what you posted sure sounds like typical sciatic issues to me.

I have some questions for you if you don't mind my being nosy ;)

Did you ever have back issues before this event when you bent over in Jan?

Have your Drs said anything to you about your sciatic nerve?

What did the Dr say about your leg and how you have to walk to stay balanced?

Are you taking anything for pain?

Please stay around here as you will find this is a very supportive group.

When I joined my world had been turned upside down and the members here taught me the right questions to ask my Drs, how to stand up for myself and TONS more & most of all they gave me strength to go on when I felt I had no strength left :D

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hi MsHumpty, and no at this point I welcome questions that can give me insight into this.

ok first, yes I actually did hurt my back a little over 2 years ago in a similasr way. but it was isolated to my lower back only. No leg symptoms at all. It was a typical muscle sprain/strain. it was really bad but with ice heat and ibuprofen I was fine within 3 weeks.

after that every few months I would move some simple way that would cause me to walk slumped over and slow for a few days. never knew when to expect it, but again I could still get things done, just frustrating. over the last year these occured more often. Still back only. But I think I may have been wrong.
    Now that I'm dealing with this, many symptoms are coming together. over the last year or so I've felt like I've pulled a hamstring. I've thought my knee was starting to give me problems. I've thought something is wrong with my ankle. and I've thought I have a circulation problem because my leg falls asleep from knee down when sitting. and my big toe fell asleep a lot and is always cold. this is all my right side too.

ok next question. The Neurosurgeon said he thinks I've pulled/injured a nerve somehow and that is why he wants the ESIs. He came to this conclusion I think after seeing I couldn't raise my toe or foot upward. and when he tried my ankle reflexes he didn't say but I didn't feel any movement on my right side. he didn't watch me walk. but he took me off PT except I continue the excercises at home.

other than steroid shot in hip when I first hurt my back and medrol pack, and I was taking flexeril in begining, I'm taking lortab and ibuprofen right now.

Sorry I know this is very long. I hope I didn't make too many errors and it all makes sense.

Thanks for the support and any insight or advice you have.
  • Welcome to spine health but sorry you need to be here.

It's great that you were able to get under thecare of a neurosurgeon so quickly. Early intervention can be very helpful. Some people have luck with the injections, unfortunately I did not, but did try all three just to be sure.

I too suffer from loss of sensation and function of my left foot. My last surgery I did regain a little function back so that was great.

Wishing you all the best. Hope that you and your doctor are able to find a conservative option to help your pain.Are you on any nerve meds (Lyrics, Neurontin, Cymbalta)?

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi ouch2, I'm still waiting on the ESI to help but nothing except hot flashes. Some of the sensations feel different in my leg (hard to explain)so I'm really hoping that's a sign of some relief coming.

If not for all the pain I think I'd be more worried about my foot. Right now I'm either in bed with some version of being on left side with pillow between my legs. sometimes I manage a kind of on back but tilted angle deal, and sometimes I have to stand. forget sitting. when I walk my my toes drag. I feel like I'm lifting but I'm not. I'm an active person and I can't imagine my foot not getting back to normal. Do you have trouble walking?

No, I'm not on any nerve meds.

thanks for the support.
  • The same as you in that although I had/have problems with my leg/foot, all I really cared about was the pain. Before this last surgery (adr 4 weeks ago) I had foot drop. My foot was completely number and part of my outer calf. I could not move my toes or barely lift them off the ground.when walking my toes would stick/drag. Now I have regained some power and movement in my foot, although it moves much slower, and is still numb.

I am now walking in the house without a walker or cane, which I haven't done since my first lumbar surgery.

Has your doctor mentioned having an EMG to see how your nerves are affected?

Hope that you start experiencing some relief from the ESI's. Lying on my side with pillow between legs or now on back with pillows under knees is the best for me. I cannot sit.

>:D< Karen

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012