Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

37 yr old mom to a 3-yr old... Expecting 2nd L4/L5 laminectomy

Lfau0888LLfau0888 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in New Member Introductions
In December, I started noticing a familiar back ache. The same pain I had years ago right before my successful L4/L5 laminectomy in 2006. At that time, i was told i had ddd.

I started seeing a spine doc in Atlanta, received tramadol and percocets, & got a quick shot in the back at my first appt. He also had me start PT which was great at first. Unfortunately though, I still had back pain and he ordered MRI #1 that was done on January 25, 12. Results were: multilevel lumbar mild arthropathy (arthritis), multilevel ddd, & numerous bulging/protruding discs. So I had epid steroid injection #1. After about 5days, it proved to help for two nice weeks.

Some time in February though, I started having the dreaded sciatica down my left leg. (I remember an exercise ball being particularly rough on me one day PT. Perhaps it was the culprit!) So I had epid steroid injection #2 which leaves me w/ no back pain... But I can't kick this leg pain!!!

Finally, last week I went to go pick up my students from P.E., and realized I could barely walk w/ them back upstairs to our class. I believe I even experienced a foot drop during that long walk across the elementary school campus. 15 min later, the school counselor was taking me to the E.R. There, they did MRI #2 that showed that the L4/L5 disc has COMPLETELY herniated into my nerves. ER doc said I'll have to have surgery and sent me home with OxyContin Rx and Medrol dosing pack.

My question: I feel like I'm awfully young to be having a 2nd back surgery. Anyone else out there ever felt this way? I mean, is this going to happen every 6 or so years?

• Had acupuncture 2 days after ER. It was a nice, yet temporary break from the pain.

Tomorrow, I am medically released to go back to teaching again. Terrified of potential pain of all of the walking (to lunch, recess, library, restroom breaks, etc.)

90% sure that surgery is soon. Can only hope to be free from pain like the last time.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i cannot say i would not be worried about going back to school under your circumstances..please be sure and be in close contact with your surgeon! by the way, have you gotten more than one opinion?? it is often a very good idea. please be careful when you go back to class.. rest when you can, follow good body mecanics, don't overdo!!if your physical condition becomes worse be sure and see your doctor.. stop by the forum anytime.. this is a great place to make new friends.i would not worry right now about future surgeries,get through this one.. it is not the norm that i know of! good luck! keep us posted! Jenny :)