Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Constipated even after 7 months from surgery

sarmadssarmad Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi all,

I had an L4/L5 discectomy in August last year and have recovered from all problems that were there prior to my procedure.

One thing that I have noticed quite recently is that I have constipation more often that I ever had before.

Is that a norm after such procedures and after medication. I was on Pregabalin for 6 weeks post surgery.

I've been trying all natural ways to tackle it but somehow fiber intake and all is not helping me much. I feel bloated and going to the loo is a whole task on its own.

• Many of us do suffer from constipation, however, months after surgery the problem is generally due to either any medications you might be taking [esp. pain medications such as opiate/oids, and/or a sedentary lifestyle/occupation, or becoming accustomed to sitting or resting a great deal, to little exercise, and even diet.

I wish you the best of luck in getting your system back to normal or at least somewhat normal. Constipation can really put a kink in our lives-lol. Though fiber is good for us in theory, only after we are normal should we eat a high fiber diet or even take in foods with much fiber it it, because fiber binds.. impacting what is obviously already bound up and causing the problem to be even more difficult [or hard] to manage.

Maybe you can ask your Dr. for a prescription strength stool softener, or ask your pharmacist what might be the best type/kind. When I'm having that problem I drink prune juice, use glycerin suppositories [they are cheap], and sometimes resort to an enema, but you should ask your Dr. before using an enema, as they contain ingredients that aren't healthy for everyone.
  • Robin makes some very good comments. Perhaps you can be given some medication by your doctor that will kick-start your system at first.

Once you have been given something that helps initially, perhaps your doctor could also give you something that can be taken more regularly, i.e. similar to sachets of Fybogel perhaps. These are more gentle and sold over the counter if necessary. Exercising more, watching your food intake and drinking plenty of water can also help. Licorice works for me if you eat enough (and I love it anyway!!).

As Robin mentions, maybe you could try using a glycerine suppository if it's really uncomfortable and you can't get to the doctors for a few days. They work very well and quickly! Also, combining a suppository with a product like Preparation H can also help in the first few days. I've only ever had an enema in hospital, so I don't know about these for home use.

I hope you can find something soon to ease your discomfort and/or chat with your doctor. It's tough enough to deal with chronic pain without the added pain that comes with constipation too.

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!