Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MBMMB Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone had any problems with urinary incontinence after their cervical fusion? I am 7 weeks post op and had the unfortunate experience of overnight incontinence. I have never had this before the surgery or since. I know it can be a consequence of lumbar spinal surgery but does it occur with cervical as well? Anyone with similar experience or knowledge on this?

• I would say to contact your primary care doctor, and see what they say. At the very least you should be seen by a urologist as there is noway to tell where it is coming from without a full urological workup. Your spine surgeon can take a x-ray to be sure it all looks good, after that he/she would also recommend a urological workup. When is the last time they did x-rays for a follow-up of the surgery? It could be caused from surgery, but given the time you are from the surgery, my guess is not unless something has changed with the original placement of the hardware.
  • Thank you, I had an x-ray last week and all looked well but then had new nerve pain after the cervical collar was removed, I drove again, and started ultrasound PT. Before the incontinence the NS said they may do more imaging to see what is going on in there but we were giving it a little time to see if it was alleviated with rest and putting the collar back on (and it has). The incontinence is new since that call on 3/5/12 so thought it could be another sign of a problem. I will give it some more time and then call if it becomes a pattern.
    I really appreciate your reply as it was a bit alarming happening at the same time as the other nerve pain flare up!

• I would contact your surgeon if it was me.
    I think that it is best not to hang around if there is any incontinence. It can be an emergency.

I hope that all is well with you and that it is not a serious problem. Let your surgeon make the decision as to if it needs investigating quickly.

• I know, I am concerned about it since I have absolutely no history of it, I am 42 and it seems a little coincidental it just started after the surgery. I didn't have a reccurence so thats good at least, if I did I was going to call today. So I am just trying to figure out whether to wait and see if it happens again, or just call and run it by them anyway. What could they even do about it? I am scared it would be a sign of something they have to go back in and do another surgery to correct! :o Thanks for your feedback.

• I totally understand your worry and concern.
    I know that the thought of needing something done about it if it was a serious problem is horrid, but better that than be left with a permanent problem.

If you just call and run it by them, then they can make that decision. You will feel far less concerned if you have let them know that it happened. They will probably say to let them know if it happens again, but then you can relax unless it does happen again.

I wish you well. :)
This discussion has been closed.