Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

An intro

tande784ttande784 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in New Member Introductions
I'm Em. I've had neck pain for the last 18 years following a minor rear-end car collision at 13 years old. For years it was managable with chiropractic care.

About five years ago it progressed from bearable neck pain to more severe neck pain accompanied by headaches (back of head and behind eyes).

Last year, neck and head pain became a daily part of my life. While checking out at the grocery store I realized I was literally going through two bottles of Ibuprofen (100 tab 200 mg) each month.

I went to my PCP (while continuing chiro) and was prescribed Mobic 15 mg in case it was arthritic in nature and began PT before receiving a referral to a Spine Clinic located at a nearby University hospital. He did an X-ray and I got a call a few days later saying "Good news, nothing is broken" Ugh!

Unfortunately, PT was unsuccessful, chiro is no longer helpful and massages are simply a way to pass the time. My pain has progressed again to include neck and head pain, stiff neck, right shoulder pain, right arm pain and numb tingly fingers. On occasion, I drop things out of my right hand.
Following an episode of neck spasms that had me curled up in bed crying I was unable to get into my doctor and ended up in the ER. At that point the arm/should issues hadn't started. Flexiril 10mg did nothing for me and so I went home with an Rx for Valium 5mg.

I have since followed up with my PCP and am on a round of Prednisone, Valium 5 mg, Lortab 5 mg. The PCP ordered an MRI (I'm currently awaiting the results) and plans to send me to the Spine Clinic or Neurosurgeon dependent upon what the MRI results are. The medication takes the edge off, but I continue to be in pain, at times to the point of vomiting.

I work full-time, have two young children, a husband and go to school part-time. I don't have time to be down with neck pain, but my neck doesn't seem to care. I've been reading posts for days and thought I'd finally introduce myself. I'm fearful the PCP will call any day and say "there are no issues" and I'll be back at square one. At this point I just want answers and a solution would be nice too.

That's my story in a very long-winded nut shell. Thank you if you've gotten this far. I'm very thankful a board like this exists and I look forward to moving ahead and hopefully getting to the bottom of my pain.

• Hi Em,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find others whom have gone through a long journey to find answers to their pain. Stay positive that the MRI will reveal something that they can work with. Also as far as medications go, many of have taken so many medications, but it is not till they find the proper blend of medications do we obtain relief. I myself don't count on one medication but it is combination of medication to help. Some things you can do to help with the pain are don't do things away from your body, keep the close. Don't reach out or up. Of course also when you bend over be sure to bend at the knees and keep your neck level and straight up. Depending upon what kind of work you do if it is office work, look for stretching exercises you can do while sitting, those might help a little with the spasms.

You are headed down the right track getting the MRI, and I would also get a copy of the results yourself. It is important for you to keep track of your medical records and what they say, so you know when explaining to another doctor. Also when you go for the consult with the spine center, have all of it in one folder in a sort of time line if you will. Let them know what makes it better and what makes it worse. Such as does laying down help with heat, while being up to long makes it work. I don't envy you dealing with pain with all the other things you have such as raising a family and working towards a degree. But hang in there and stay positive something will happen to find the answer.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and keep us posted on your progress.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in!you certaintly have alot going on and to have chronic pain on top is really alot to deal with!you deserve a big, soft, pat on the back!! you are bound to feel better with some much needed diagnositic work..hang in there till your MRI results!! good luck and be sure to let us know what happens!! Jenny :)
  • Thanks for the warm welcome. Jenny, I love your signature.

I heard back on the MRI shortly after posting and am being referred to the neurosurgeon.
    According to the nurse over the phone here are the issues.
    C5/C6 osteoarthritis and bulging disc
    C6/C7 Cervical widening.
    I get the first, but don't understand the cervical widening. Has anyone experienced this or seen information on itsomewhere?

I'm awaiting a call from the neurosurgeons office to schedule the appt.
  • Hi Em :H ,

Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear your story :( . It echoes that of so many of us on this website. I can't imagine anything worse than chronic pain. I don't care how long it's been rearing its ugly head ... 1 day or 10 years. Only people going through this can have a true understanding and compassion for us. That's what so great about this website. We all DO know what each other is experiencing. We are our own family here and welcome to it >:D< .

I am so grateful you are getting into see a neurosurgeon =D> . Please don't hesitate to ask questions. You might want to jot down a list of them to take with you. I am just praying for some relief for you. Pain wears me out mentally, phyically, and emotionally. Been waging my Pain War going on 6 years now (see my history by clicking on "Rassy's Story" below). If you are like the rest of us, you just want relief and answers ... in that order for me! Stay strong and let us know what the neurosurgeon has to say. We're here to listen, help, and support >:D< . Keep us posted.

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.