Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

is ALIF outdated and fake?

talattala Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I have DDD at L5 S1...also herniated disc.
I met with Ortho Dr and he suggestd ALIF spinal fusion. I was all ok with that and then I went and got a second opinion from a Neuro dr. The Neuro dr said that there isn't ANY surgery that can fix BACK pain and that ALIF surgery is antiquated and hasn't been practiced in 10 years.
Can anyone shed some light on the ALIF procedure?
Did anyone who had ALIF have it within the last 10 years? If so, did it help with your back pain? and if so...was it 50% better or 100% better?
I. have my ALIF scheduled for April 24 but now I feel like I should cancel it
Anyone...please.Suggestions, coments, recounts of your particular operation.
Thank you!

• Fusion is done all the time, But many times a less invasive procedure is tried such and removing part of the disc pressing on the nerve, Or lami to make more room for the nerve among a few other procedures to try to correct the problem if alternative treatments have failed,

You can find much information on this site about every procedures along with some videos so check it out,

Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I have had several ALIFs, as recently as six years ago. I was told, straight up, by the neuro spinal surgeon on the team, that their goal was to stablize the spine. Any reduction in pain would be icing on the cake. He predicted, per my history, that I would have temporary relief but would start developing painful scar tissue and osteophytes shortly thereafter. He was correct. They found two more discs that the ortho. wanted to repair but I told him to spare me the details..........I had retired from surgery. I have a skilled pain doc who has taken care of me for 11 years, now. I'll let him keep me as comfortable as reasonably possible.
  • it was done by one of the uk's finest surgeons .and he is always doing them .its a painful operation to recover from but last night i got 5 hours sleep if you have read any of my post???? your will know that i have not had more than 2 in the last 6 years !! .yes i am still in pain and its early days .it take a long time to fuse and get over the operation especially when it is the third time i have had an operation in that area
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014