Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Injection or not?

cbsccbs Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Spinal Injections
I'm scheduled for an epidural injection this Monday, but don't want to go through with it if it doesn't help or could cause more problems than it's worth. I'm desperate for some relief since I have missed work this week due to the awful pain.It hurts to stand or sit more than 10 minutes.My full-time job requires me to sit all day. My meds are Hydrocodone 7.5 -3.25 4x day which I have been taking for 7 years.They refuse to up my dosage and act like I'm crazy asking them to take me out of work.Why don't they understand my pain level?
I was diagnosed with DDD in 1997, had a fusion/laminectomy at L5-S1 in 98 (didn't help)and my recent MRI shows L5-S1 significant loss of disc height&signal.Mild impression upon thecal sac, ligamentous and facet hypertrophy.

L4-L5 has disc bulge, loss of disc height and signal,bone spurs,ligamentous and facet hypertrophy, moderate foraminal narrowing.

• I had cervical epidurals and selective nerve root blocks. They didn't really hurt, only mild discomfort but 2 of the 4 I had mild sedation. I was too far gone and needed surgery. I would try as you don;t have much to lose. Good luck
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    I have had several epidural injections..thoracic areas and lower lumbar area.

For me the thoracic injections caused more pain and N & V..even before I left the office.

The lower back were successful.

As said frenchfri...you really will never know until you try and what is to lose? If it works, you could have some relief for awhile!

Good luck to you with your decision!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I'm going tomorrow to try it. I'll post the outcome.
    I'm hoping for the best.
  • These injections take time to work, so please don't be discouraged if you are sore for a day or two. Even after that it make take a couple of weeks to really notice. In my experience the relief happened slowly over time, except for the ESI in my hip, which was excellent right away and continued to provide relief.
  • Hi friends, I said I would post after my injection. It has been 3 weeks since the pain doc gave me the epidural steroid injection and I never got relief. The injection itself was very painful so I won't get any additional ESI. I have a follow up appt next Monday with his PA. What to do now? The doc signed my FMLA forms to reduce my work hours, but only for 2wks which has ended, but I am still working reduced hours due to the pain when I sit.
    I love hearing from everyone and so appreciate your well wishes. I hope you are having a good day.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ...injections were of no benefit. Only lumbar okay with me. Doc doesn't even want to give any others now, since I vomited on he rug before finding trash can or bathroom.

I tried to work through the pain for about two years and even so, I had to give back some of my work...because I just couldn't do it.

The pain just increased and I tried to concentrate on it to keep it under control.
    But one day someone asked a question..many people were talking off topic...I just wanted to bitch slap everyone.

That's the day I resigned and started working with a Disability lawyer.
    At that time, I have not yet seen PM doc, But was taking Hydrocode. When I learned that if car accident or anything similiar...I would be labeled as DUI. And of course, GOD forbid I hit or hurt someone...yikes..

I'm not saying that is answer for everyone. & I think Disabiliy allows for so many hours or so much money you can still earn.

But for me...my having Disability has everyone better off.

Best of luck and keep in touch...and take care of you!!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    if you stick with one thread to have on-going discussion. I've been reading your Injection or not? and Why wont they change my meds?....

At this point the both are heading in the right direction. There is nothing wrong with having both threads opened, bu since the subject matter is becoming the same, it may be easier for other members to follow one instead of two.

Regarding ESIs, I am sure you have read many threads here talking about Spinal Injections. For many people, they have been very helpful, yet for others, it didnt' seem to make a difference.

I was surprised when you mentioned that the ESI was painful. When they are done in the proper setting, using some form of a lidocaine injection to numb the area, then inserting the final needle under the guidance of a fluoroscope, there really shouldn't be any pain.

You will also read that for many patients, after an ESI, they are put into some form of therapy (Physical, Aqua, etc) to help with the condition.

Do you know what your doctor wants to discuss with your appointment with the PA? It seems confusing (for you and patients) when you are shuffling between various doctors, one not being able to help you in one area, and the other helping you someplace else.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi all,
    let me explain you the nature of MOST OF THE neck and back pain.
    Pain likes to travel from here to there and that is a good sign, it means pain is not mechanical and can be taken care with PT.

McKenzie exercise: This is one very popular theory which many PTs using, some exercises are very similar to Yoga pose. During the course of exercise sometime on day 1-3 client may feel more pain after the exercise, I explain my patients its like first time going to the gym after long time.
    The theory is based on centralization(C) of the pain. C to the spine. If pain is Centralizing, that is a good sign,(PAIN MAY INCREASE), I tell its like a 10lb mud in a 5lb bag. Remember, pain will travel, pain may increase and its a good sign.
    The only RED FLAG is if pain is peripheralizing.(Pain is going further away from spine towards extremities).

DRX-9000: I am using this machine since last 2 years now on at least 4-6 people a day. This machine is good for 80% of people, yes 20% people do feel more pain,( I have learned to avoid those pain now on machine)

To understand more about machine just walk in to my clinic its on 33rd street between 6th and 7th, 131W, #604 (New York-NY). 646-401-4012 or 212-280-7774. Just come and visit office as its your own place, I will explain you about the machine and PT services we can offer here. Our prices are very competitive, and if you are not fully satisfied we have limited time money back guarantee going on. NO Insurance? No worries.

Manan. PT