Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi I'm new here :) 22yr old chronic sciatica sufferer!!

Speedy89SSpeedy89 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all, just joined up, looking for people to talk to with similar/same problem as me. It started out I was a little kid n the thing I feared most was growing old and having a bad back!!! I was only 19 and was in a car accident, Ct scans revealed problems, spinal stenosis and riddled with osteoarthritis from tailbone to neck. I recovered reasonably well I think as I can still walk unlike some unfortunate others I know. Started with lots of physio basically learning to walk all over again. Months and months went by and it seemed like I was getting nowhere.. on average 3 - 4 hospital visits a week. Before my accident I worked every day on a pig farm from the age of 14, loved every minute of it!!! I haven't been able to work a proper job since the accident!! 1yr passed by me and I hit a huge speedbump... depression and anxiety hit me like a brick to the face. Not wanting to bother about getting out of bed in the mornings as I always wake up stiff as an old man, I can assure you sleeping with the fan on all night in summer was my first mistake!! Eventually the sciatica settled down alot after continuous physio and an arm long list of meds... 2yrs 3months have past and I still haven't been able to get a job, it's like as soon as they see I have spinal injury they throw my resume in the bin!! 6 months ago I SERIOUSLY thought long and hard about suicide, weeks went by and I didn't even leave the house, I felt that "there was no point". I still suffer every day, the worst part I can't seem to manage is the depression and anxiety!! I'm still taking cortisone twice a day (would be 3 but if I take one at night I don't sleep, AT ALL) ontop of that any pain relief that I may need... so that's my breakfast a handful of tablets and a cup of coffee!!!

is anyone suffering from sciatica that is my age??? If so how do you manage with the depression and anxiety??? How I have kept my head up for this long is a mystery!! Help!!

• Hi and welcome to spine health. My situation is no where near as bad as yours but I do know what it is like to live with chronic pain and have anxiety and depression at a young age. The pain usually brings on the depression and anxiety, that is normal. I had bad anxiety for as long as I can remember, even before I had chronic pain.

Have you seen multiple doctors for second opinions or at least to try some different meds? Do you like your doctors?
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in! it is so difficult to deal with sciatica for a long period of time. i have been a pain patient for over 40 years and have to find new tricks all the time!! LOL!! i would be careful taking corisone on a regular basis.it has alot of side effects.. one of them is depression!! i like to listen to music alot to help me when i am feeling down and am in alot of pain.. it can really take you away to another place!! stop by anytime!! there is always a spiney around! Jenny
  • I have three good local doctors. Been to many hospitals and doctors, I've even been told "it's all in my head" to "it's not going to get better from here out" I constantly deal with L2, 3 and 4 slipping or grinding against one another. I know that it's not going to get "better" I've learnt n still learning how to manage around it. Cortisone helps but not full relief it more so strengthens the muscles to help stop slipping discs but they still slip atleast once day! I don't like taking tablets all the time to be quite honest IT SUCKS! to make things even more interesting I'm battling hives as I have recently picked up some type of allergy. I'm allergic to a lot things starting with penicillin, bactrum D'S, NEXIUM, Amoxycillin and keflex. Don't know what is causing my hives so I had to start by cutting out certain foods. Hives n being extremely itchy is nothing in comparison to the difficulty I have with my spine daily.

It's morning here so enough of the downer talk. I'm in Australia by the way. On the plus side of things for me I have found the best woman she likes to take care of me even at the worst of times ! She has two kids of her own and is just over 4 weeks late!! So I might be a father soon enough! :) That really gives me something to keep my head up.

I'm nearly finished my rounds of cortisone and probably not going to continue them as I already suffer from insomnia, minimal sleep for me is not an option!! So I'm looking for something different to try out, first off something for my back to help stop the stiffness.... on another note, I tried lexapro for my anxiety but that turned out really bad, rash n constipation and no sleep for 3 days . I want something for my depression n anxiety that's not going to give me wild mood swings if I accidentally miss one tablet! Any ideas???

• Are you seeing a Psychiatrist? Because he would be the one to help you with the right kind of anti-depressant and work with you since you have so many reactions to other medications and talking with a Professional also may help.

I've used Cymbalta which helps with nerve pain in my legs and Wellbutrin works pretty well for me but it interrupted my sleep at first but then I got used to the side effects.

Please call the distress line if you have any more thoughts of suicide. It's great you have a supportive partner. All the best and never give up hope. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Nah not seeing a psych anymore I did for about 8 months and it helped but I always try to explain my pain to others but I just can't do it I cannot describe my pain to others in a way that they will understand. My partner has had sciatic problems when she was pregnant so she understands to an extent but I live with this every minute of everyday. This is why I joined up to this forum to talk to people who fully understand or have same sort of issues. :)

anyone tried that 'voltaren rapid' I see it advertised on tv all the time but what is it n does it actually help with sciatica or is it more based on the arthritic pain?
    I'm just about to look up that cymbalta to check side effects. I'm usually not worried about side effects , though I have been given medication that made me not sleep for first 3days then getting sickening images every time I closed my eyes... basically disturbing images like me cutting up people with chainsaws or razor blades... so now I read side effects before I read name label! LOL!
  • Wow that's some awful side effects to the meds to have images like that! I notice I get nightmares or weird dreams the more violent movies I watch. With Cymbalta I was a little drowsy at first but that's about it with that med but it seemed to calm my disturbing thoughts of sadness.

I'm taking Wellbutrin 300mg XL now and I take a sleeping pill anyways at night but I'm feeling better like more even moods. I started taking Cymbalta last night as my sciatica was acting up and it calmed down already with just one pill.

The only thing I tried for sciatica in my leg was DMSO my Dr. ordered for my knee pain Pennsaid and may have helped a little.

Are you on Lyrica or Neurontin for the sciatica? I found though for me the best med was Cymbalta though and pain meds.

You may get more responses if you put your post about help for sciatica pain under that topic radiculopathy or nerve pain. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I also take cymbalta and find it helps a lot with my anxiety. I have heard it is hard to get off though, but it seems worth it to me now.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Yer those side effects were actually from champix which was to aid my quitting of smoking cigarettes which was a lost cause though it helped alot Dr thought if I could quit smoking might raise my stress now but better for the long run. Fail. this cymbalta sounds Okay I have a Dr appt next week I'll hit him up about it. I am currently NOT taking anything for my back as I have the flu n can't have my usual dose of cortisone as it dramatically reduces my immune system. I'm suffering pretty bad because I haven't really been able to get out of the house or walk much so the idle days are causing my back to do odd things, discs skipping n sliding or banging into each other or even grinding against the other discs 'hurts like hell' only lasts a few seconds but the best way to describe this.... drag fingernails on chalk board!! Hurts in the most cringing way. it sucks when I get sick cause my body literally creaks when I move, I can hear n feel it but nobody else can. This also happens if I get to cold :/

Been great talking to you guys... n gals ? I appreciate you all taking a moment of your time to listen to err.. my whinging n whining basically lol the partner must get sick of it I swear... lol
  • Make sure you drink a lot of water also. Okay my second MRI said Mild DDD throughout lumbar spine and my third one says only prominent facets, L4 bulging disc and L5 osteobar. It didn't say anything about the DDD. I have been drinking water like it's going out of style.

I like filtered water brita has a new one person cup and has a filter. I use fill2pure. I used flavored water at first and now just plain water and try and drink 8 glasses a day.

I have that grinding in my back also and it's just awful. I hope your Dr. helps you out and gives you something like Cymbalta to help you feel better. I took Wellbutrin to quit smoking before and the effects weren't bad like Champix. Well take care. Charry
  • Water is good! I drink lots but sometimes I do get a little slack. physical check up shows I have about 10% more mobility in the last 9months ... this is great news for me but I have to remember that I'm not Hercules yet.. doc doesn't recommend me taking cymbalta at this stage ?? Didn't really say why... today I'm feeling great only the discs above s1 (whatever they are called) are tight/stiff. The only thing I have changed is I have been having warm showers in the morning to help increase mobility off the bat first thing n I think it helps heaps just gets rid of my arthritis stiff feeling in the morning