Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why won't they change my meds?

cbsccbs Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:01 AM in Pain Medications
I'm taking Hydrocodone 7.5/325 and have been taking it for almost 10 years. Started on 5/325 and increased to 7.5 approx 2 years ago. My pain level increased 4 wks ago to a constant pain, never letting up, about a level 8.Just wondering if you think the doc should up my meds by now.I'm going in for epidural tomorrow and plan to ask the pain mgmt doc about my meds.what should I say to him without sounding like I just want strong meds?
advertisement

Comments

• I dunno. I've been taking my controlled meds for 3 years and wish they would rotate them or something too (sometimes). A lot of the time they do a fine job, but a few times in the past I felt under medicated. My pain is cutting through the medication now and I wouldnt ask if my arm were falling off.

I feel like it's a fine line we already walk and saying the wrong thing would red flag them. It's a shame that we have to feel this way, but bad apples have ruined it for legit CP patients.

Maybe someone could offer different advice, but if it were me, I wouldnt ask for anything. Just tell them your pain experience. See what the doctor has to say. If he's on your side, he'll want to get you out of pain. Most people that abuse medicine ask for it by name from what I understand. It's certainly given to them because enough of it makes it on the street for the media to have a hay day dogging controlled substances.

Good luck, I know it's no fun suffering, but sometimes there's just no way around it. If you're suffering often maybe going to another doctor is the way? I'm pretty new to all of this too so I really cannot say one way or the other.
  • Unless you are having medical problems concerning your medication, you wouldn't ask about your medication. What you need to communicate to your Dr., is your symptoms, your pain levels, etc. Your medication is simply a treatment for your pain. And your Dr. is the one who offers the treatments. Communicate honestly about your pain. There is nothing to fear-but fear itself.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    All you provided is that you are taking pain medications. We have no idea as to what your medical situation is, past medical history, any formal diagnostics, any surgeries, what treatments, etc

In order for anyone to respond to your posts, you need to provide us with that information. Please read the Forum rules and FAQ so you become more familiar with this site.

In terms of asking for higher dosages of pain medication. I would not. Instead when you are with your doctor you explain your situation and let them come up with a plan. In addition, when your pain levels hit around 8, you should be heading to the ER. You can not function physically or intelligently when pain levels reach that high.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Why not just wait untill you receive the injections and worry about it after the injection,
    After all, Thats why they are doing an injection so posibly get pain under control and not need more meds but less meds,

They dont give the injections so they have to increase the medications,

But if the injections dont help and meds dont help any more and you dont know how to ask the dr or tell the dr that its no longer helping the pain, Then ask him how is the weather and how his car is runing, lol

Git-ir-done
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,941
    I would answer doc's questions honestly and hope for the injection to help. Then next visit may be a surprise with pain relief.

I don't understand how the docs do the meds either. My pain doc changes my daily meds annually and has not changed my prns at all. However, he knows that when I'm newly on the patch again, it is effective and I don't need as much breakthrough pain med.

That kind of works for me because I think I have some decades of life ahead of me and doc being concerned to manage effectively now...I don't know.. gives me more confidence.

I fully agree with above..that I do not ask for more meds...and when my pain is out of control crazy making...I am in the ER. My body has full control of pain..I just respond. It's like a little dance and after all these years I learned my pain likes to lead. :)

Hope epidural does the trick for you tmrw!
    Let us know how you're doing!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• How did the PM Dr. appt. go? Did it work out. Did you get relief from the injection or did he change your meds? Just wondering and would be nice to have an update.

My Dr. only gives me slow release narcotics and getting one little breakthrough med was like getting teeth pulled telling her I need an extra bit of pain relief to get in the shower and go for a walk daily. She does however adjust my slow release meds to every 6 hours now. I'm going to a new PM Dr. at a specialty pain Center so hopefully they will have more recommendations to her and hoping it's not to take me off all meds. : 0 Keep us posted Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
    Just curious how you decided for new Specialty Pain Center?

Did you get advice to go that way? or frustrated with the pain you were in for shower and a walk?

I know as cbs was saying, it's a balancing act to let doc know how you're feeling without asking for more help with pain relief.

I wish you the best of luck as you work with new Center!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• After 3 pain clinics only do facet joint injections I'm ready to try Radio Frequency ablation RFA done and the pain clinics don't do those and they don't use fluoroscopic x-rays either so I want professional care in getting proper technique injections and RFA so I asked my Dr. to send me there.

I even had one Pain Dr. say that I should be taking 5 or 10 mg Oxycontin instead of the 80mg per day I'm taking !! My Dr. worked hard to get my pain levels to tolerable after 4 years don't need a PM Dr. who doesn't even give meds try and tell me to go down with my meds.

Since my Dr. doesn't like to give breakthrough meds she will if a Professional Pain Dr. gives her direction so she only gives me one breakthrough med a day. I'm on slow release narcotics and I've seen my Dr. for 4 years so she does adjust my meds well so I don't have to go to the ER. I just want to get a PM Center's guidance and try the RFA. Thanks Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
    ...to cbs and everyone who responded.

It a little funny to me, (but I hard up for humor :)
    but to read hear is a little like relationship tips..and then person finds out...oh..relationship with... doctors....:)

It is funny to learn how to talk with people..be kind..timing..etc...and it comes in most handy with family? no..love of your life? no...your pain management doctor? yes...most important person in my life... that's for sure :)

Charry..best of luck...and cbs let us know how it went and i wish you best with the epidural today!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator

• Okay, so nobody here seems to think its okay to take control of your own treatment and ask for more meds if you need them? I don't see how that should be an issue but apparently it is and that makes me very angry! Not with you guys, with the medical community. I mean, I'm of the opinion, as a medical professional myself (I'm a hand therapist) that people are responsible for their own health, at the end of the day your pain management doc sleeps just fine, thank you very much, but we are not so why shouldn't we tell them what are body needs? Maybe it just is a matter of how it is brought up, like saying that the medications used to work but you think you've built a tolerance for them, is there something else that you would recommend like a different medication that might be more effective or something like that. I just can't believe that someone in the field of pain management should be able to get away with thinking that someone who is taking control of their own health is "drug seeking!" I guess I'm sensitive right now because I'm going through my own little pain increase battle and will have to bring this up myself in a couple weeks at my next appointment. Thats terrible healthcare though!
  • I think its best to just simply say dr the meds right now are no longer helping enough with my pain, That way its not coming across as i want stronger pain meds,

Its means the same thing but this way its the dr,s decision if he feels its ok to increase it,
    I guess its just more polite in the view of some dr,s so patient dont sound so demanding stronger meds is all! And if you are honest and as i told them few times i had to double up my meds because pain was so out of control its ok to say the truth,

Being honest about what helps and honesty will always get you the best results with the dr,

I am sure drug addict will lie and they will usualy get cought in a lie,

So if a regular patient was to get cought in a lie would make the dr think oh oh drug addict.

Thats why you dont want to tell dr what you need, Dr. Has to be asked what do i need to do can you help me so he makes the final decision on your needs,

As long as you are honest you should never have a problem, After all he is there to help in the decision making and thats what they usualy do,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Jess Justjess said:
    Maybe it just is a matter of how it is brought up, like saying that the medications used to work but you think you've built a tolerance for them, is there something else that you would recommend like a different medication that might be more effective or something like that.
    That sounds reasonable. And it's true that we, as patients, are responsible for our health care, our bodies, and have a say in our treatments, but we are the patients and they are the Drs who studied and have degrees in their field. We can't treat ourselves medically because we don't have the right to their prescription pads. But we have rights and you have the option of asking for anything. In PM, it's just not generally popular or wise to ask for a specific medication by name or strength-unless your Dr. asks you specifically,"what pain medication works, or has worked for you in the past?"
  • it is in my posting. Did you read it?
  • thanks to all who posted and I really appreciate your comments. Unfortunately, the injection didn't give me any relief. I am going next week for a follow up appt with his Physicians Asst. Not sure what we will accomplish. My pain meds are managed by my general practitioner so I can't talk meds at this visit and I won't be getting anymore injections-had too many without results. The pain doc did put me on reduced work hours for 2 wks. I guess he thought I would feel better by now and be able to sit for 8 hrs again, but I just cannot do it.
advertisement