Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TisingletTTisinglet Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi my name is Tina.I found out on the first I am headed for a three level fusion of my cervical spine.I do not know when this is going to happen because it is a work comp case. The longer it takes the more afraid I become.I know this is just the beginning. The dr said there would be more surgeries down the road.I am angry alot of the time and show it. I am still working just in a different position. I prided myself on my job now according to my dr I will never be able to go back to my old position.Is anyone in the same circumstance as I am concerning not able to do what they did before.

• I have never been pain free since my acdf 3 level surgery 5/2010. Surgery preformed by a Neuro Surgeon.
    Actually I seem to b getting worse, headaches
    both hands have tingling. Tired & have to lie down most of the
    day. Now pain starting in between shoulder blades. My first pain dr. Tried 3 Rhizotomy's
    No help. I've had several injections, facet block injections.
    And No relief. Pain dr. Put me on Morphine became
    very sick from med, could not sleep or eat. Just switched to a new pain dr.
    he put me on gabapentin, klonopin, 5 mg norco he does not
    like narcotic drugs. I am not able to function. Had a cortisone anti-inflammatory injection
    Last Monday a week ago No Relief. Having another one on March 16th.
    Because he believes I'll need more than one. This pain is debilitating I have no ambition
    to do anything. Just had a MRI & the report says the disks above and below fusion ate being compressed. Does anyone else have these issues?
    I'm afraid that nothing is going to help. I'm just getting weeker every day that goes by
    Any Advise?
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • I also have a fear of not being able to go back to my normal position. I am an RN and work 12hr night shifts on a cardiac floor. Lots of "back breaking" work, lol. Ive had 2 lumbar surgeries in 6 months and a possible fusion in the future. It is scary and I miss my job, I havent been able to work at all in the past 7 months and may not be able to go back to it. Keep your chin up, at least you can still work!
  • Even though I will not be able to return to my previous position at work
    I am just wishing it was over tonight. Woke up this morning with a pressure headache so bad I was wishing it would just take off my skull. After calling in and going back to bed after taking pain meds I woke with my lower inside arm hurting and left shoulder hurting. I am tired of the pain and even more tired of the depression it causes.
    Thanks for the responses they mean alot to me.
    Lese2122 thank you for making me realize that my life may change after surgery but it is not something that changes who I am.
  • It is extremely frustrating being jailed by your pain especially for someone who is active. One thing that I have found that helps me is to talk about it. My husband is a great sounding board as is my mom (who is also an RN and can remind me of the limitations when I worry about my recovery taking too long for my liking). I've started new hobbies and have been working on another degree to keep me occupied. Pain can take over your body but don't let it take your mind... Keep your chin up!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    I am sure that you will find a lot of valuable medical information in terms of articles and videos that can answer so many of your questions.

This member forum will also allow you to discuss your situation with many others who have been down the same road as you.

For more information regarding cervical surgeries, take a look at Cervical Surgery

I've had 3 cervical surgeries (C4/C5/C6/C7) and am fused with an additional titanium plate with screws.
    My last was in 2000 and I continued to work as a System Engineer in programming, workstation support and managing data centers.

Sure, those surgeries did impact my work, it changed how I continued to do that work and I did continue to have some problems because of that work.

Any Spinal surgery will have its impact. For some, it might have major changes in the way they worked before, for others, they continue to work, but perhaps in a modified way.

The most important aspect is your recovery time.
    This is the difficult job. Your surgeon has the easier job in performing the surgery. But, its
    your Physical Therapy, adhering to all the limitations and restrictions, doing the proper exercises, etc that will determine how you fare down
    the road.

Again, Welcome to Spine-Health. I suggest your view our FAQ. There is a lot of information there that can help with your stay at Spine-Health

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I was sent to another dr last tuesday workers comp asked me to see while examing me he felt a crunch coming from neck now ever since I have had wr orsening in my left arm.It feels so heavy. Tried to call the dr but never got a reply.Now not sure what to do.