Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Time to Step Up

ldavis2333lldavis2333 Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Made an appointment with my PCP for last Friday to discuss pain meds and getting a sturdier walker. I was not able to go because I was in too much pain and neither my husband nor I were capable of driving. She is on vacation next week. She had called in a prescription for me last week. I am beginning to think that I could have injured myself more with my fall after surgery. The pain is just horrible. I feel like someone whacked me in the back with a 2x4. I still can't even stand up straight, balance is still bad and I definitely need more support than a cane to walk. The secretary asked my surgeon's office if they could call in the order for the walker. My surgeon's office called and said they needed to see me before they would submit the order. I haven't had a choice but to increase the Vicodin by 2 and I will tell the surgeon. I have an appointment next week.

My husband is going to the Podiatrist in the morning. I really don't have much doubt that his leg is gone. The foot is definitely gone. The ulcer is down to the bone and getting worse. I am seeing him deteriorate more every day. He can't walk either.

Now,it's up to me to work on getting myself better, take care of my husband, house cleaning, shopping, laundry, drive myself and him to Dr. appointments. Straighten out the housing situation. He doesn't want to move and neither do I. I have to be honest with myself that if I fall down the stairs again, I might never walk again. We have run out of options.

I don't want to wake up tomorrow and I don't have choice. I have been sleeping most of the day because I can't handle getting out of bed. I want the world to go away and it won't. I can't isolate forever. I am so scared to face each new day.

• Hi,

I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you are in such an awful situation. I wish I could come and help you out, get you to the doc at least.

I really hope someone can help you out.

Really big hugs.

• Thanks Helen, I wish you could too. I need friends and hugs. I never was big on house cleaning, why change now.lol
  • I'm truly sorry for your situation and the hand you have been dealt. Certainly there are agencies in your area that you might benefit from, as you can't be expected to handle transportation, moving, and house cleaning at this time. I don't know anything for sure, but if I were in your shoes right now I would reach out to your local social services and if they can't help you, they might at least know of some place that can. Drs, nurses, and possibly local hospital might have some helpful information as well.

I wish you and your husband the best.{{{hugs}}} to you both.
  • I can't imagine how tough this must be. I don't know how I would've coped with even my pretty straightforward surgery and good walking abilities if I did not have help with housekeeping and self care in the first weeks I was home.

In the UK we have carers that will come into the home for a couple of hours a day, help with daily living tasks and take you to the doctor if you need help. This cost is Bourne by the local Council.

Have you or your PCP looked into Home Health agency help?
  • I can do enough to get by at home. I think it's more of an issue with pain control. I saw my Surgeon about getting a walker this morning. He wants me off of all pain meds. I went into more detail about this in a different post "So Pissed Off".

Thank you for your support. It really does help. I got some excellent news yesterday. My daughter will not be moving to CA. The job situation with her boyfriend worked out very well for him. I was crying HAPPY tears. I know she is happy too. =D>