Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

27 year old with a bad back

Lese2122LLese2122 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:01 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all... I am new here and am looking for support with this on going back pain.
I am a Registered Nurse and last July (2011) I was pulling a patient up in bed and felt excruciating pain that landed me in the ER of my own hospital. I was sent to a Gen. Prac. for Workers Comp cases and he sent me to PT saying it was a muscle strain. 8 weeks later during PT, the pain was so intense that I broke down in tears during and was then referred to a Neurologist who did some EMG testing. That doc then referred me to a Neurosurgeon. The surgeon had me do an MRI which showed a disc rupture at L5-S1. He said a simple surgery would relieve the pain by removing the disc material from my nerve root. After surgery, I had initial minor relief which returned worse than before by week 5 post op. At the 12 week post op visit, he said "Well I dont know what is wrong, you should be up dancing around." Obviously SOMETHING was wrong as I was still hunched over unable to walk correctly or sit/stand for more than 10 minutes. He referred me to an Ortho. And I thank God that he did... Workers Comp sent me to my current doc who tried some conservative treatment at first (steroid injection) which didnt work. He then said that going in and taking a look to see what was wrong was my next best option. Well, he did and found that my facet joint on my right side was so tight that he couldnt get his instruments in. That was what was causing my nerve pain and other pain. It is now 4.5 weeks after that surgery and am currently trying to wean off of pain meds that I have been on for almost 7 months. I am worried because after my surgery he said that because of the removal of the right facet joint, it may cause instability and will require a fusion if instability occurs. I still have pain especially when sitting/standing for more than 10-15 min. and I feel wierd (i have no other way to describe the sensation) clunking when i move certain ways (rolling over, sitting up from a chair, sitting down from standing, and sometimes when I step on or off of a curb). I just worry about needing another surgery to fuse my L5-S1. I dont want to have a third surgery in under a year. I see my Ortho in a week when he should lower my dose of meds, and will discuss what happens next.
Sorry for the long post... just worried about not being able to do all of the things i used to do. (Im very active, healthy, athletic and not being able to do anything other than lay on the couch is KILLING ME!)
Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry your surgery is not going as you expected. you need to stay in close contact with your surgeon!! please remember that your body has been through alot and recovery is different for everyone so be patient!! i hope that time is the answer to your problem! be sure and have a good look around the forum and make yourself at home.. stop by anytime! there is always a spiney around! Jenny :)