Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 Week Post-Op?

BluoneBluone Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
For any of those that read my previous post..."Upcoming surgery...terrified", I had a successful surgery but I couldn't stop crying prior to the operation, I was THAT scared. I had a Laminotomy, Disectomy, and Foraminotomy; after waking from anesthesia they couldn't control my pain so I stayed 1 night for observation.

It has been 1 week since the operation, and already had my post-op appointment (Dr was very happy with my progress), and was doing extremely well. Foot drop was gone, leg pain was gone, and was the only pain I felt was from the incision. I do have constipation and EVERY time I stand up I am lightheaded, nausea, and dizzy (even when I'm not taking the pain pills). I am still HEAVILY relying on help to do anything!!!

My problem now, is that all my pain prior to surgery is returning and returning with a vengeance, including my foot drop, and I have been having some urinary leakage (which I did not have prior to the surgery).

Should I be concerned since ALL my pain was gone and now it's coming back and worse???

• I am not a doctor, and can only speak from my own perspective and experience.

If it was me, I would contact the surgeon to let him know that you have urinary leakage, and that your foot drop and pain, which had gone, is coming back strongly.

It may just be swelling and inflamation after the surgery that is only just showing itself. I think it is probably wise to let the surgeon make the decision as to if it is a bad sign or not. Hopefully he will calm your fears, and then you can continue with your recovery without worrying.

I hope that you feel better soon.
  • And i totally agree with jellyhall.
    Contact your surgeon, and let him/her know all this.
    With the leakage and foot drop, it's most probably nerve related, and nothing to ignore.

If nothing else it will give you peace of mind, that the surgeon is aware of it.

Best of luck to ya, and call your doctor, be sure to let us know what he says.
  • Okay, I've taken your advice and called my surgeon's office, hopefully they will get back to me since I am in serious pain again.

From your experiences what do you think he will do (i.e. will I need another surgery)? I don't see how I would have re-herniated the disc but maybe he didn't get it all the 1st time?

I am sick of being in pain and this feels so much worse, being in the same pain I was in before, and possibly having no hope!!! I will go under the knife again if I have to; I just want to be better!!!

I will let you know as soon as I hear something.
  • Calm down.
    It's way to early to even think about another surgery.
    What you are dealing with, a lot of people here have already dealt with.
    Tho it is something that does need attention, now that your doctor is aware of it, give him ample time to contact you to pinpoint what is causing this.

I've had 2 back surgeries since joining this site, and i'm still in pain also.
    And theres alot here that are worse off, so try to relax, until you have a chance to speak directly with your doctor.

Everything will work out just relax. and wait til you hear from your doctor.
  • Heard from the dr's office 1st thing this morning, have a MRI scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, and then I need to make an emergency appointment with the dr after the MRI.

So I guess my doc is not taking any chances with my recurrent pain and foot drop.

The last 2 days I have also been noticing (not always) some bloody/clear discharge from the wound. Is this something I should be concerned with?
  • To hear that you are having an mri and seeing the doctor tomorrow. I would show him your incision while you are there.

Sorry to hear that your pain and footdrop are Returning.

Hope that things settle down for you. Please keep us posted.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012

• tell your doctor about the discharge from your wound. Keep an eye on your temperature.

Try not to stress about all this. I had various problems after my lumbar fusion and although it was a nuisance, they knew what to do to sort each thing out and I am still pleased with how much it helped me.

Do come back and let us know how you get on. :)

• I went to the doc today and lo and behold I have re-herniated, since he is worried that the foot drop and weakness are coming back, he is scheduling me for a single-level fusion.

Before anyone says anything about second opinions; he was my 5th and the only one who didn't say fusion to begin with; and I trust him hardheartedly.

He said that he wouldn't normally recommend it at my age (34) but since I re-herniated less than a week out of my laminotomy, and since he is very worried about the weakness getting worse, it is why he wants this done sooner rather than later...and I tend to agree.

Again NO frightening stories!!!

As for my incision site, he said one of my internal stitches came loose but wasn't too concerned.

I will keep you all posted as I know more...thank you!!!
  • I know that this is not what you wanted to hear, and facing a fusion so soon after your laminotomy is tough. However, if you have re-herniated so soon (and I guess that you have been taking it easy) it does indicate that the surgery didn't do enough to improve things for you.

Your surgeon did his best to save you from a fusion, but now you know that is what is needed. Although you are young, there are many others who have had fusion surgery while young, some of them in their 20s.

An advantage to being so young is that you should heal quicker. Having a fusion is scary, but it is often the way to deal with spinal pain and stop further deteriation. I had a lumbar decompression and fusion and my pain levels from that level are very much better.

Do let us know when you have a date, and ask any questions that you may have.