Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain moved to L-123. Had L4- S-1 fused. HELP!

bobbinladybbobbinlady Posts: 35
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Has anyone had this happen? My back has been starting to hurt more and more over the last 6 months. So I go to my PM and he adds Morphine to my Cocktail of meds. Then I go to my Surgeon and he tells me that my surgery was a success and there is signs of fusion. Problem is that he showed me my exray and the next 3 vertebraes up are degenerating. He wants me to go for a Myleogram, which I cant afford right now. and the He suggests that we add onto to the existing fusion. And he gives me a sheet of exercises and tells me to do whatever the PM Dr. says. So I ask for an apllication for a Handicapped sticker and he tells me that he only does those for right after surgery, and to go to the PM or my Primary Dr. Something doesnt sound right. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. ~X(

• I had L3-S1 fused in aug 2010 and had been doing great! 6 weeks ago started with pain and numbness tingling. I had flexible rods at l3-l4 to prevent adjacent disk disease which it did. However had mri and found out I have massive herniation at l1-l2 and are needing to go back in and do diskectomy and fusion. Meet with surgeon next wed to finalize surgery. Due to nearness to spinal cord and some symptoms they aren't letting me wait too long. So upset because I felt so good which I hadn't felt for over 5 years. That's my saving grace going thru surgery again is praying for same results as after last fusion. Good luck!
  • Hi,

It is not uncommon after a fusion for the vertebrae above or below to start to fail because there is too much pressure on them from the block of bone from the fusion. Sometimes one fusion leads to another.

Some people do just fine with a one level fusion and no other problems but some of us (myself included) have problems. I am fused L1-S1. It needed to be done because my spine was collapsing in on itself (thanks to a hit and run accident with a snowboarder). Anyhow I now have a bit chunk of fused bone (I build bone well) and that is putting too much pressure on my SI joint and causing problems there. Since that is where everything started it has come full circle.

I had cortisone injections, which helped temporarily and were also diagnostic to determine that the problem was the SI joint. Right now I do not want another fusion especially since to have each SI joint fused it is 6-8 weeks non weight bearing and that just doesn't work for me. So I have started on neurontin which helps a lot with the nerve pain, along with my anti-inflammatories and tylenol 3. I can usually keep the pain under control that way.

Check with your doctor but an xray should show if there is slippage of the vertebrae due to the fusion. Its a frustrating process because you think you have things fixed for good.

Good luck and keep us posted.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.