Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Using a cadaver or bone material

john ljjohn l Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had back surgery 2 yrs ago this month. They fuse L5 to S1and cleaned out L4. Part of the fusion did not respond as the Dr wanted. I do smoke cigars I know a no no. I donot drink or smoke cigarettes. I have had a few injection last one seemed to help. I'm scheduled for another next week. I'm getting this like like electical jolt that almost drops me. Just excruciating! I have started my core therapy it's been on and off since surgery. I have been on my roadbike a couple of times 15 minute the 1st tim 1/2 the second. I have no pain doing this.
I know I'm going to need another surgery and the DR talked about going through my stomach to put a block in and leave the hardware. How sucessful is this procedure and what actually take place. I know there are no gurantees.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    based on my experience (cadavear failed - impacted down into my vertabrea) I would go for your own bone. I haven't had lumbar surgery and I don't know if that matters .... but for me, Keep that freeze dried stuff from another person away from me !!!

Others will comment that have had ALIF's etc, I'm sure will comment.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    When it comes to surgery, I want everything to be MINE!

For my fusion surgeries, I had bone chips taken from my hip.
    For my recent number of surgeries, I donated my own blood, so that if I needed blood during surgery, I knew it was mine.

This could be really a personal choice. I've known many others who did really well with cadaver or artificial materials for spinal surgery.

I would discuss this with your doctor. They should be able to provide you with the medical Pros/Cons of what material can be used for fusion surgery
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • First foot surgery they took bone from my hip. Oh so painful. The hip hurt worse than the foot. Second foot surgery they took bone from right below my knee. Not bad except I was in a cast that hit on the place where they took the bone. When I had my multi-level lumbar surgery they used cadavar bone mixed with my bone from the laminectomies that were done at the same time. No problems. Fusion took place.
  • Just wanted to put in my 2 cents here too. My issues are all cervical. I had a 2 level ACDF at C5/6 & C6/7 July of 2009. My neurosurgeon used stem cell implants instead of the cadaver or bone frags from my hip. Also used plates and screws for support. I feel I have had very good success, as far as the fusion. Only battle now is chronic pain, which we are controlling with medications. No more surgeries in the game plan, at this time, for me. If I were in need of another fusion, I would definitely want all parts to originate from my body. As Ron suggested and I agree, PLEASE discuss your concerns with your doctor. I thinks just about all of us here on S-H feel that way. Hope everything goes well for you.

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • I read here about spondylosis decompression. Then they take out the bad disc, insert the plastic and meatal to replace damaged then the bone fusion takes place. We really haven't talked about it seriously the Dr and myself. You know yourself what is going to be needed. I just don't understand the procedure pros and cons