Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

S1 nerve scar tissue

GreatdanedukeGGreatdaneduke Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Chronic Pain
:< After having surgery on my L5 S1 to repair pa herniated disc,I began to experience pain in my S1 area, my left leg, and numb toes. After another MRI, it revealed scar tissue on my nerve root. What tpe of treatment can I expect?
advertisement

Comments

• Hi,

I'm in the same condition though my discectomy/laminectomy was a while ago.

Though most literature says that another operation will just make the problem worse (creating more scar tissue) my neurosurgeon intends to wrap the nerve with a DuraGen membrane in order to prevent new scar tissue formation.

I'm very reluctanct to have another operation, however I would love to hear from people who underwent scar tissue surgery with FoamGel or DuraGen.
  • Sadly there is not too much that i have found that they can do for scar tissue,

The more they go in there just creates more scar tissue, To wrap the nerves in anything would probably be while doing another major surgery that brings on further risk so many times all they do is tell you deep massage and excercise after surgery helps break up some of the scar tissue and keeps it off the nerve,

Sadly that dont always work so many of us are stuck with pain that drs many times dont even want to adress because they know not much can be done about it in my opinion,

This is 1 of the biges and most common complication having surgery,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thanks for your reply. I see the doctor on the 26th. I'll let you know what happens.
  • Sure. Let me know. My doctor seems quite confident with this procedure.
  • i have to agree with alexhurting Like myself with nerve damage. The more you have surgery. More damage will be done.

Jim
  • Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. Drugs (opiates) do not seem to work.Spinal injection did not work. Lets see what the doc says in a week.
  • Thanks for the response. I see the doc in a week. Ill post his recommendation.Hope It is fixable.
  • After eight spinal surgeries, all I can say is that the scar tissue and spurs just keep coming back and I have been worked on by top spinal ortho/neuro tag teams who supposedly knew all the tricks. I currently have two new ruptured discs but wont have anymore surgery. All it has been good for has been stablizing the spine. I usually am experiencing increased pain in 3-6 months. I hope you have better luck than I have.
  • Thanks for the info...I am worried that this may end my career. I'll post the findings after my next doc visit. Originally the doc said the tear in my S1-L5 was not bad...now the scar tissue.
  • Thanks for the info...I am worried that this may end my career. I'll post the findings after my next doc visit. Originally the doc said the tear in my S1-L5 was not bad...now the scar tissue.
advertisement