Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Running out of time for re-operation?

sjoboyssjoboy Posts: 25
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Chronic Pain

I suffer from late post-op scar tissue, according to my neurosurgeon I sould undergo an operation
to free the S1 nerve root. To prevent fibrosis for reappearing (a certainty in these surgeries)
he would be using a DuraGen membrane. I have found that that material greatly reduces to apperance of fibrosis
in lumbar sugeries, therfore there is a chance that the operation might be successful.

So, I have this dilemma: I don't want another (that would be my second) back operation, but on the other hand I'm 46 y.o., I still
have some 40 years ahead of life expectancy and I want a high quality life all the way, be able to do
simple things I no longer can. And being 46 the time for undergoing surgery is now, the more I wait the
harder for my "ageing" body to heal. In summary, I don't want a surgery but time is running out for not
regretting not doing it.

Everybody's advice is welcome.


  • Hi Sjoboy,I'm 59 had s1 and s5 actually 2 yrs this month.I'm still having some problems the fusion didn't take as expected. I'm going for 2nd injection next week. If does not work I'm going to have another surgery. I have been active all my life not ready to quit now. I'm at the new 40 yrs old lol
    Really something to think about. For me I would go for it.
  • I'm not familiar with the procedure your doctor is recommending. However, I think you are wise to be thinking this through. I had 2 surgery in under a year for L5S1 (1st one didn't work) and knew the surgery I opted for round 2 might also not work and I'd face another one. So far, doing pretty good.

    But, like you, I'm in my 40s (was 40 for the surgeries) and now 43. I do still have my issues. Surgery to free scar tissue that was caused by surgery would make me think twice b/c who is to say more scar tissue won't form. However, it sounds like the procedure has more to it that would possibly protect you longer.

    Did you get a 2nd or 3rd opinion? It might be worth another opinion. Also, give folks some time here to reply...I'm sure somebody must have some personal experience or insight with the procedure.
  • Thanks for your replies.

    Actually, the fact that I didn't receive comments from people who underwent the same procedure might be encouraging. Perhaps they aren't looking for advice anymore. I mean, it's an optimistic way of seeing things.

  • It is true that those folks may have had success.
    What I suggest is to ask the doctor
    - would he do this surgery if his spouse or child were in the same situation?
    - what will he recommend if you opt against the surgery? (e.g. one less invasive procedure)
    - what/how will he know if it worked or didn't work? What signs will he look for? It's nice to understand his long-term plan to evaluate you post op
    - Have him review the risks again...just so you know.
    - get a 2nd opinion
    - if you have a good relationship with your General Practitioner, or even if you don't, call and ask them for their thoughts. Often times, they can give you a more 'objective' overview and suggestion to make sure you have the right information before making the final decision.

    Good luck with the decision.
  • Thanks DNice. Very valuable advices indeed.
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.