Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dealing with numbness

cjperkccjperk Posts: 77
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
How do you guys deal with the extremities numbness? I had a really good handle on mine until last week. I'm also sleeping on a new mattress that seems to be making it worse. Any tips would be much appreciated. It comes and goes in both hands.

Any tips to make it go away? Any pillows you can recommend?

• Dealing with numbness can be quit hard at times. I live with permanent nerve damage so the numbness is always there. However recently I have some additional numbness, and it is very bothering. One thing I can tell you to help is to be sure your stretching out daily, and multiple times through the day. Also sometimes sleeping with your arms over your head helps. As far as the pill thing goes, be sure the pillow is not to high, that it has your head/neck tilted as that can put pressure on the nerves. Now hopefully your medical team is aware of the numbness, and may also have you taking a nerve med such as lyrica or one of the many others. I myself also find taking vitamin B, helps with nerve issues. I also get up multiple times a night and move around, as along with the numbness comes extreme pain with no movement.

Hopefully you will find something that works. One thing to keep in mind is when trying something try one thing at a time, so you will know which one is working and which is not working. Good luck and hope you find some relief.
  • I had a really good handle on my cervical numbness until about 2 weeks ago. I mean literally, it has taken a couple of years to get to where I was (very rare that numbness occurs). Now I'm back to dealing with it daily. I had a doctor recommend me to a Chiropractor (I have no clue why) and he injured me.

I'm also having bad numbness in my feet which I had never had before. No, I'm not taking a nerve med either.

Anyways, it's back to as bad as it used to be. It comes and goes in both hands. It's doing the same in my feet. I had never experienced bad numbness in my feet until after this appt.

When I read the RX for the Chiro, it said stretch, and some jarbled nonsense I could read. Not in a million years did I think it would hurt me. I'm smart enough to know not to be adjusted manually. I explicitly told him "no adjusting". He pushed around on me and used a trigger type thing. Whatever he did has set me back two years of progress. I'm rather disgusted with the situation and myself. I should have known better.

I'm praying that I can get back to where I was at. I've also got a new mattress last Friday. I cannot tell if the Chiro visit or the mattress is making me worse. I was having these symptoms before the mattress arrived.

I'm concerned about the pillow because the new mattress is more firm than my last. My neck sleeps different on it. I've got a cervical neck roll that I insert in to the bottom of my pillow. This is the same pillow I've used for years now, it's just not good for this bed.