Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Fusion surgery headache

dondonddondon Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:01 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am having headaches that even my painkillers won't touch. Is this normal for cervical fusion surgery four weeks post op...anybody know? "Google" isn't helping me much. I had one last weekend; thought it was a one time thing but it came back on Thursday and hung around until last night. I woke up this morning headache free. I am wondering if anybody else has had this problem four weeks after fusion surgery. Not liking this at all!! I had a C5-C6 fusion.
advertisement

Comments

• I have gone through many cervical spine surgeries and never had any headaches. If I was in your shoes I would call your surgeon and ask about the issue. It could be a issue with medications your taking. Have you noticed that maybe you did to much the day the headache came on? Keep a journal of what you doing and when the headaches come, and this might lead to some answers as to what could be causing them. Good luck.
  • The only meds I added to my regular medication is the pain pills. I am taking the same pain meds that I took right after surgery and I didn't have headaches then. I will write down what I do during the day so I can determine if that is the factor. I am pretty miserable. I was going to call the dr last week but I really thought it was a one time thing. Now I know it isn't. I will be calling them on Monday. I can't function with this type of headache all the time. Lights, tv, noise make it worse and I teach first grade. Going to be tough if I am still having them when I go back to work! Thanks for your help!!

• Did you have headaches before your surgery?

I haven't had surgery, but I do get headaches that I have been told are caused by my neck. I get very tight muscles in my neck which doesn't help.

It looks like I will be having a two level ACDF, and my neurosurgeon has told me that I will have very tight and sore muscles in my neck and across my shoulders for quite a while after my surgery.

At four weeks, you are still in very early days after your surgery. I agree that it would be an idea to speak to your surgeon to check that this is normal.
    Hopefully it is just from tight and spasming muscles and things will settle down soon.

Wishing you a complete recovery which leads to a painfree and active life. Let us know how you get on.
  • TboneTTbone Posts: 1
    edited 02/18/2015 - 1:35 PM
    I had cervical fusion in 1997 at the age of thirteen. Two steel plates and eight screws to fuse c-5 and c-6. Initially, I had severe headaches, it subsided in my twenties. Now I'm in my early thirties and the headaches have returned. The weather and stress has made them almost unbearable. My vision even gets blurry and I can't concentrate. The only thing that has helped is Soma 350mg one when I know I'm not going anywhere. Massage has helped a little in the past also. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.
  • I had a spinal fusion in 2007 when I was 10 years old. C1 and C2 are fused together. To this day, I have god awful headaches so frequent that it's easier to count the days that I don't have headaches rather than counting the days I do have headaches. Between the headaches/migraines and lack of range of motion, I'm in pain almost everyday.
  • BlessedMom74BBlessedMom74 Posts: 322
    edited 06/16/2015 - 3:21 AM
    I have been having horrible tension headaches since my ACDF 7 weeks ago. Because of the cage that got put in place of my disc, my muscles and ligaments are being stretched to accomodate it. Headache starts at base of head and follows a Mohawk pattern to the front of my head. Maybe that is what you are experiencing? Other wise call doctor and ask. Could be side effect from anesthesia?
  • I had 2 level ACDF surgery 7 months ago on C4 to C6 and still get spasming with occasional headaches. In fact, I have a headache while I write this. I normally turn to Naproxen or Ibuprofen along with moist heat, TENS, or ice packs. In extreme cases I have no choice but to take a Percocet. My pain/spasming issues are at the back of my neck and inside my shoulder blades. My Neurosurgeon has just referred me for pain management. I realize the healing could take a year or more. The problem is if I'm not back to my Electrician job within a year I'll be terminated. Good luck to everyone else in the same boat.
    2 level ACDF Surgery
  • I've had 3 cervical spinal fusions from the occipital.-C3. I have experienced headaches after my surgeries and still have, my first surgery was 2 1/2 years ago and my last surgery was 8 months ago. I now see a neurologist and he said that spinal fusions can cause headaches so we have been testing out different mess for me.
  • rtconant1rrtconant1 Posts: 348
    edited 06/16/2015 - 2:05 PM
    I have had headaches everyday for the past couple of years since my neck issues have gotten worse. The headaches got even worse since surgery last September. I am on so many meds right now just to function everyday that I cant deal without them but am still in constant pain.
    Tracie C
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.