Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Limbs twitching after Microdiscectomy?

Hello everyone. I had a L4/L5 herniated disc in Sep 2011, following my a microdiscectomy in Oct 2011. After the surgery I continued to have periodic right leg/buttock pain (sciatica) that I've learned to live with but over the last 2 weeks I've had muscle twitching in my upper tricep and periodically in my lower calves. The arm twitching isn't painful but is pretty much constant. Has anyone had constant twitching like this? Could it be due to sciatica or possible nerve irritation? If it continues I'm going to make a neuro appt next week.

Thanks all and best wishes to all of you who are fighting the sciatica battle.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    My nerves have continued to twitch for the last 12 years after my first surgery. They are not painful just annoying, I take a muscle relaxers daily and that stops most of the twitching
  • Susan thanks so much for your feedback. Did you have twitching in your arms or was it everywhere? What feedback did your Neurologist give?

• i continue to have episodes of twitching and at some times jerking. i get buzzing sensations in my leg as well. i have pretty much had them since my surgery in 2005.
  • Hi Ronnie,

I get twitching in my feet --especially in the toes and in the sides of the feet. I am trying to figure out the cause as well. I believe it can be caused by nerve irritation of some sort as that is what my doctor believes I may have. I have heard sciatica and twitching (also known as fasciculations) can be caused by herniated discs, so perhaps that is a result of the herniation?

I am taking some calcium magnesium to see if that helps with the twitches. I am also going to active release therapy (ART) which seems to be helping me a lot.

Good luck! I hope you find a solution soon :)