Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

full spine mri coming up...questions.

islandstylistiislandstylist Posts: 307
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Hello everybody,

I have a full spine mri scheduled for wednesday and am quite nervous. But I would also like to know if they will also be looking for other abnormalities?

I guess what I would really like to know is if they happen to see somehthing like a lesion for ms or something else would they put that in their findings?
Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• I wouldn't worry too much. Full MRI means they just want a full picture. Many people have lesions that really don't mean anything.

Typically they do an MRI to get a report by the radiologist. You may be asked to fill out paperwork on 'why' you are having the MRI (typically symptoms, etc) but in general the report should be general observations including the ones your doctor is looking for. Also, when you get the report, your doctor should review what the report says in relation to the images.

So yes, they should be doing a general report.
  • Some doctors don't care for the radiologist's interpretation. Show the same films to 5 diff radiologists, and you get 5 diff opinions.

Are they going to inject you with contrast dye?

Here is an example of a full spine mri image found on the web

Looks like that person has some L4-L5, L5-S1 pathology.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • That guy in that mri has a healthy spine, There aint nothing wrong with his l4l5 or l5s1

I bet you take an mri of the most healthy person in the world you will see something in there mri, Means nothing, But i am sure there is always a dr out there who would talk the person in to fusion just in case that disc might be going out in the future,

Thats kind of like replacing an engine in a brand new car just in case it might go bad,

Looks more like the guy has not had anything to eat for 2 years. Where they find that guy at the homeless shelter? Give him some food and send him on his way lol,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,

• I wish my spine was in as good a shape as that!

• Thanks.

I had my mri yesterday. I was pretty calm for it despite my anxiety. Lol.

Good to know about them getting a general report. Thanks for your help.

• Thanks Paul,

I had my mri yesterday,went ok,despite my nerves. Hahaha. And no, I didnt have contrast dye.

Thanks so much for your reply and for the mri picture.

• Glad that your MRI went ok. I was also very nervous during my first MRI and worried that my deep breathing would mean that I was moving too much.

During future MRIs I haven't been nearly so nervous.

I hope that you will get a clear idea from the scan, of what is going on and that your doctor will be able to suggest a plan to help you.

• Thanks so much,

And yes, Next time I need an Mri I wont be a full on freak! Lol! Now I just have to psych myself up for the surgery! Oh God. hHahaha.

As far as the results, they were about the worst thing ever. My dr said shes never seen such a large extrusion. Not bulge, she said rupture or extrusion.

She wants me to be very careful because she said she doesnt want it to turn into a sequestration. She explained that if my ruptured disc breaks off it will cause severe damage to my spinal cord which she said was allready "markedly impinged on the right side". So needless to say Im freaked.

And I have a 6 mos old 20 lb baby boy that Im not supposed to lift. Yeah right.

Wow! Sorry for venting, I just need to toughen up and get ready emotionally for my surgery.

I hope all is well with you and I hope your spine issues resolve themselves without surgery.

• What are your symptoms from this disc extrusion?
    Have you been in an accident to cause it?

Do you have a date for surgery? I expect that they will want to do it soon.

I know that all of this is very scary!
    I have been told by 2 out of 4 surgeons that I need an ACDF. I have an appointment in April and will see what they say then. This is a follow up after 6 months of waiting to see how things progress.

I am also trying to get ready emotionally for a surgery. I am pretty sure that I will have to have it at some point. It is just a matter of when.

When I had my full spine MRI scan, they found that another of my protruding discs was now compressing my cord in my thoracic spine. Not talking about surgery but have been offered epidural injections. I am managing with the pain from that at the moment, but it is nice that there is something that I can try if I need to.

It is 2 years since my lumbar decompression and PLIF fusion. I am very disappointed to be facing another spinal fusion surgery.

I have a 5 month old grandson. He is just under 12lb so I can manage to pick him up and carry him.

I hope that your surgery will get your neck into a place where you can get on with your life and enjoy your little boy.

Take care, and let us know when you have a date for your surgery.

• Hi,

Nope, no accident of any kind. One night I lifted my then 3 month old baby up and that was it. I felt a tear. I thought I dislocated my arm.

After months of seeing drs I finally got my MRI this wed. So its been 3 mos now. I have a referral to see a neuro but hes on holidays, go figure. Lol!

I will definitely let you know when I am scheduled for surgery.

Sad for you to need another surgery. But you are obviously a trooper. Huge hugs.