Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi new guy here, 22 year old with L4 and L5 disc herniation and S.I Joint troubles, Questions questi

london_jamiellondon_jamie Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in New Member Introductions

Im Jamie, im 22 from london and in the last year and a half ive been having some real problems. it started with some lower back pain and sciatica down my left leg. i went to the doctor and was given the usual codiene type painkillers, which i quickly built a tolerance to.

after weeks of waiting i had an MRI and i was told i had a L5/S1 disc herniation and that was the problem. i ended up with an caudial epidural injection and some physio which felt like it was working, until about a month after when the injection wore off. back to square one.

I continued with the physio as advised, told that i should get some relief after a few months. after about 6 months of physio, horrible opiates and lots of pain, no improvement still and i was referred to another doctor, who took another look at my scans and compared with the pain i was experiencing it was more likely an S.I joint dysfunction of some kind.

last friday i had an nerve root block injection to my left S.I joint, which seems to have relived alot of pain, but underneath it still feels very uncomfortable when sitting and moving. like the injection is covering the pain but not solving the problem. my doctor says this is used as a diagnostic tool to verify the source of pain.

my question is now we've established its mainly the S.I joint that is the problem, what are the doctors likely to suggest now? do the nerve root blocks last forever or can they wear off like my previous epidural? obviously physio and anti inflammatories arent working as ive been on them for over a year now. i really need to get back to work and i just dont know what to do next. the sciatica seems to have calmed since the nerve block aswell.

sorry for the massive post if any of it makes no sense please let me know!!

• Your post is very clear, and not so massive - give yourself a break. Shots and nerve blocks do not last forever, but sometimes they can last quite a while. What kind of doctor are you seeing now for your Lumbar and SI issues? Did you do anything/have an accident which caused the pain originally? Did the doctor say what the issue is with your SI?

I hope you get some long-lasting relief from the block.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck on seeking pain releif!! i hope you find something to work for you soon!! be sure and have a good look around the forum and make yourself at home!! stop by anytime, there is always a spiney around!! Jenny :)
  • thanks for the friendly comments everyone,

my job involves alot of lifting i think thats whats done it, i cant recall a certain event where it started hurting but it just gradually got worse over a few weeks.

im currently seeing an orthopedic consultant at my local hospital. its all done on the NHS here so its free but takes ages to get anywhere, hence why ive been in pain for nearly two years and havnt worked for about 9 months now.

the doctor said the injections ive just had are being used as a diagnostic to see whats wrong, if that makes sense. its been about 4 days since i had it now and the pain is improved greatly, it just feels like somthings not right and i still cant sit for more than 5 minutes!!

i have a follow up appointment in a weeks time so i shall let you know how i get on!!