Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lump under incision...

notsonnotso Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi All, At 4 wks. postop I'm doing really well I think with recovery from my C5-C7 ACDF. But I'm getting concerned about the hard lump under my incision. My incision has been oozing for the last couple of weeks, a pale pink color and minimal amount. At my 2 wk. check my doctor said it was a 'seroma' and that it would absorb gradually into the tissues. When it started oozing he put me on an antibiotic and the lump got smaller. He said to continue icing it which I've been doing. The lump is very hard now, oozing is less, but I'm becoming concerned that the lump will be permanent. I have another call in to the doctor and am waiting for a response, might have to go in again. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what the outcome was for you. Any info is appreciated.

• I can't help as I haven't had cervical surgery yet.

I hope that the doctor will be happy and reassure you that all is normal.

I had problems with my lumbar fusion incision, which opened up at the top and then got an infection. Finally at 6 weeks, I could take the dressing off. I was so pleased about that.

Keep healing >:D< >:D< >:D<

• Thanks Jellyhall...The lump is just a tiny bit smaller this morning...I just finished a course of antibiotics and the incision site shows no redness or signs of infection, I know some of these seromas take weeks, even months to absorb into the tissues so I'll just have to be patient I guess. My six wk. check is in two wks, so my doc can check it then, still waiting for a return call from his office. Just another small hurdle on this journey...
  • I had some infection on my side where the doctor took the bone graph and they told me the same thing as you with the antibiotics but had me use some hot compresses for 10 mins then cold for 2 mins. I still had the staples in though. Hope this will help.