Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Increase Cortisone effectiveness?

sierradmaxssierradmax Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Spinal Injections
Hi. First post here. I'm 29 yr. old male about to get my first ever cortisone injection at the L5-S1 level. I've had significant pain in my lower back shooting down my left leg that has progressively gotten worse over the course of 3 months. After numerous doctor visits, I'm finally receiving my injection this afternoon. I've heard stories where its effectiveness in patients lasts a couple days or even a couple years.

Does anyone have positive experiences and can give advice for an increased chance of effective performance?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    You posted in the right area to read about other member stories regarding ESIs.

We really dont have any formal statistics, but I am going out on the limb based on the type of posts I have seen on ESIs

I would say the the edge is more towards those that had no immediate, short term or long term success with the injections along with those that had bad results.

I am looking back over my last 16 or so ESI's (also counting those done on my shoulders and hips)

My results are more like 60% favorable, 35% no change and 5% with negative impacts.

Always keep in mind, that this spinal injections are part of an over conservative approach to helping patients. I rank these higher (along with other conservative treatments) vs aggressive treatments such as surgery.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com