Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

blazerblazer Posts: 785
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Lower Back Pain
Well i've been in therapy almost 7 weeks now, and the pain in my back and left leg, at times feels like i never had any surgeries, except i've had 2 now.
My NS will probably take me out of therapy tomorrow after i see him, cause of the increased pain, and feels like i'm going backwards.

Ok he also had me get an EMG today, and when the Neuroligist was doing her thing, tho its a uncomfortable test it didnt add on to my pain when she was shocking and poking at my left leg, but when she stuck that needle in my spine i yelled and punched the wall. Literally thats how bad the pain was.
Doctor then said she found out enough, and didnt need to do anymore.
So i will find out the test results tomorrow when i see my NS, and hoping for the best, but i'm also tired of being told the worse.

Has anyone ever had a EMG where when they poked the needle in your back, the pain was unbearable?

I'm really tired of dealing with all these issues.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832

I can recall some of them where the needle was deep and it hurt like hell. Most of the time, those needles and tests feel almost like you put your finger into an empty lamp bulb socket.

I do not remember any of them when they prob directly into my back. Even when it was lumbar related, most of the probes were in my legs
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Mine were mostly in my legs also, Never had them stick it in my back,

Sorry things are not going good for ya,

Did you at least punch a hole in the wall to see if its 1/2 " drywall or 3/8" drywall?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I had an EMG once to diagnose carpal tunnel syndrome.

I found it to be the most brutal medical test known to be inflicted on people. A physical therapist later said to me wow you survived an EMG!!?? You must be made of steel.

• I'm interested to know how they tested your thoracic spine, and what the results showed.

I have problems in various levels of my spine and have wondered if there is any way to discover which level is causing which symptom.

I had an EMG on my arms, which the neurologist said showed that I have compression in my neck. (I know that I have two discs compressing on my cord.) I was very surprised (and rather frustrated) that they didn't test my legs to see what is going on there, because I have all sorts of symptoms in my legs and feet. Some doctors have said that they believe that is also being caused by my neck. As I have three protrusions in my throacic spine, with two compressing my cord, I wonder if there is any way to work out which level is causing my leg symptoms.

• and hoping that your appointment today goes well.
    So sorry that your EMG was so painful.
    I hope that it will have been worth it and that they will get some useful information from it to make a plan to help you.

Let us know how you get on.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    I had two scenarios for this:

1 - Testing for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. The needles were used mostly at the base of my neck and along the upper shoulder blades.

2 - T4 Syndrome. The actual needles were placed in series on both arms. This would be after the doctor put some pressure on my T4 disc.

Prior to this, my MRI's upper and lower thoracic areas did indicate 4 herniated Tdiscs. 3 Mild and 1 moderate.
    The emg test was to determine how much that these thoracic disc problems impacted my arms.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • ron, jellyhall, alex, julie47, and amelsen15.
    That it took me so long to respond.
    I'm just so fed up with all this stuff. But i do knowthat i can not give in to what i'm experiencing.
    The EMG, testing report says low normal for the nerve responce times.
    So NS is telling me there is no nerve damage but there could be other reasons for the pain.
    I'm gonna have to start keeping a daily journal til this is over. I am in pain in my back and my left leg, and those tests are wrong.
    So NS does'nt have me doing therapy right now. He said he was gonna send me to a physisterist(bad sp).
    I told him i cant sit or stand long, going grocery shopping is very painful.

My PM want me to reduce my pain pill amount to the minimum amount i can stand, and see how i do.

I just guess they might be getting frustrated with this slow progress also.
    But the one thing i will not do is say what they want to hear, if i'm still hurting they are gonna know about it.
    When you dont have a spouse to discuss this stuff with it makes it all more stress full. And its all building up the pressure of dealing with so much alone.

Sorry getting off track.
    Thank you everyone, and my very best to ya's.
    Alex i hope your scs is finally getting straightened out by the doctors.
    Jelly; i hope you are dealing with your pain issues ok until they can get your surgery scheduled.
    anelsen15, julie47, and ron my very best to ya's.

• Hey jim. Sorry you still having issues, The scs i had put in is not a fix by any means,
    I see the rep again friday for the final time to make some more adjustments but i dont see this as a solution for the hip and leg pain,

As i had long talks with my pain dr and him still not realy knowing whats causing my pain i am still thinking its more of an si joint issue then the back is why they cant figure it out,

You are right about you cant tell them what they want to hear, If pain is still there you cant pretend its all fine just because they think it all should be fine,

None of the tests they have is a 100 % and emg can show some issues in some cases but unless its an obvious compression many times its not much help,

I had so many emg tests its not even funny, And was always told it dont confirm nerve damage,

I have mentioned to dr,s many times to stop looking at my previous surgery adr and fusion and look elsewhere because i know my body and i dont feel its coming from there but much lower after adr was put it,

But of course many of the dr,s have this god syndrome attitude, They dont like to be told anything but when they change the direction of your own body,s symptoms to make it fit what they feel might be the issue and once that fails they dont have an answer,

At this point i am taking one more attempt of taking a more agresive aproach to have them rule out what i feel is the cause not what they feel they should look at,

If anything the scs help with some of the symptoms from the back surgery itself and in my view rules out the nerve pain from the spinal segment all together just as i have been saying all along,

Hang in there dude! Maybe we can hook up over the summer and have a litle cook out here if you are up for it, We can kidnap our dr,s and cook them up on the grill?

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,

• I have read that EMG tests can give a false negative, but not a false positive.

Perhaps they are getting frustrated with the slow progress, but they must realise that there is no-one that will be more frustrated that you! You have to live with it every day. They put your file away when you leave and probably don't think about you again until your next appointment with them.

I hope that being able to 'talk' to other members here helps in the absence of a spouse or partner. I am very much a 'talk about it' person, and although I do have a very supportive husband, I think he sometimes wants a break from it. That is why I find coming here to talk and share with others is so helpful.

Thanks for the good wishes. My pain levels are very much lower than those that led to my lumbar fusion. I am coping quite well with the pain just using over the counter meds, although I have to layer them sometimes. I am waiting until after my April 17th appointment to see what they say before deciding when to go forward with surgery. I think it will be before too long though as I have various signs of myelopathy which needs dealing with to avoid permanent problems.

Don't give up hope.
  • Jelly and Alex

I'm still here just havent been on S/H just get frustrated dealing with this.
    I appreciate that Jelly yes we are like a family here supporting each other, but there is suppose to be that special connection between couples that maybe not physically helping with the pain, just the feeling of having someone at your side no matter what.
    Not sure if you can understand that. Cause im probably not expressing myself properly.

But anyway, been seeing my doctors and w/c has a case nurse tagging along, and i told doctors i cant tell them what they want to hear cause it would not be truthful. I am still in more pain then i should be considering ive had 2 surgeries.
    I'm pretty sure my doctors are believing me, but w/c i dont know.
    W/c has me scheduled to see a IME this week 4/25, and they turned down my doctor request to send me for another opinion with a physitiris(bad sp) so i'm just hoping that this IME doctor is fair and honest on his report.
    End of this week i'll be 7 months nicotene free, so they cant blame this on smoking. So i'm gonna try to keep a open mind when i go for this appointment.
    But w/c did approve 1 thing my doctor asked for and it was a surprise to me. Doctor ordered a machine that gives me cold therapy and massage for my back. The machine is called "VascuTherm" its like a ice machine but it does not reguire me putting any ice in it. Basically like a refrigator, where its all self contained.
    There hoping that helps, but so far it gets my back a numb colo feeling, but the deep down pain is still there in my back and butt and left leg.

Sorry for ramblin on, hoping that you guys are doing better, i need to read up here, to catch up on everyone, as i said i havent been on here.
    So please dont take it personel, i just need to clear my head up. Hope you understand.

My best to everyone.
  • I had one and almost hit the DR. if he hadn't moved out of the way he would have been on the floor.
  • I had one several years ago to determine whether my arm nerve pain was due to my neck heading south or whether I had a problem with the ulnar nerve. It was the ulnar nerve. My pain doc did the testing and had the nerve to say it wouldn't hurt. I said I had three previous ones and he was either misinformed or a liar. I chose to believe he was misinformed. By the time it was over, he was aware that the procedure hurt me anyhow.

• Yes, Jim, I do understand that having a life partner does mean that we are going through it together and just knowing that, is very helpful.

I do hope that having your spiney friends goes some way to making you feel that you aren't alone. There is nothing quite like being able to talk to others who are also going through this.

I also hope that this VascuTherm will give you relief from some of the pain.

As for my appointment on April 17th, the neurosurgeon registrar has said that she wants to refer me to a neurologist because she is not sure that my symptoms are coming from my neck!

I am now waiting for that appointment.
    I did have an EMG and nerve conductions studies done last August, but I suspect that they will want to repeat them, and hopefully this time they will test my legs too. (Not that I relish the idea of having electric shocks and needles poked into my muscles, but I do want to find out exactly what is going on with my body and then have a plan of action to deal with it.)

Feel better soon Jim, and don't forget that we are here whenever you need to talk to someone about all this yuck!

This discussion has been closed.