Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

16 weeks post posterior cervical laminectomy

MaregoldMMaregold Posts: 46
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am now officially 16 weeks post-op c5-6 posterior cervical laminectomy? I had immediate relief from the left neck, shoulder, arm and hand pain. No more numbness in my hand! What I have been left with is a 24/7 burning in my trapezius muscle. It's unrelentlless. I take muscle relaxers twice daily, anti-inflammatories, and still need percocet almost every evening. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm at my wits end.

• Hi Maregold. I had that kind of pain after surgery, and after my surgeon assessed it, and said it was likely the muscles were inflamed and pinching the nerves in the area. I had a massage and was able to go back on Humira, and with that, painkillers and muscle relaxants, it has resolved.

I hope you have relief soon.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    It has often been described by us that have had posterior cervical work done as "like being hit across the shoulders and neck by a baseball bat"

Would that description fit?

Time can heal .... I'm not sure how much time ... but thats what I've heard.

Tick tick tick tick - sorry you are going through this, You are not alone.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• It is like a stinging smack, isn't it? I have an appointment with a PT who specializes in chronic pain. I drive daily in my role as a community health nurse, so I have to get this thing under control. I really appreciate all the support and information I get from this forum. Thanks, guys.
  • Hi, Karen,
    Thank you for your encouraging words. I'm glad things worked out for you. May I ask how long your recovery took? I thought I did a fairly good job at resurching this procedure before I had the posterior cervical laminectomy, but I missed this potential outcome.
  • edited 01/06/2013 - 8:41 AM
    Hello Maregold! Just checking in to see if you still have this burning in Trapezius following the surgery- and if you found any way to lessen it? After I received a posterior laminectomy/ facetectomy/ discectomy of c4-c7 I have a strange burning in my traps which always gets worse after lifting anything. It seems to burn and twitch/tingle in a rather creepy kind of way.
    I haven't been able to lift anything more than 5 pounds since my 2 level ACDF so I am cautiously optimistic that everything will have healed so that I can eventually resume a full and relatively pain-free life. Any pointers from you would be greatly received as I am soon meeting with a physiatrist to address biomechanical issues about my back/neck.

• I am just chipping in here, I hope you don't mind.
    I was wondering if my assumption that you had your 2 level ACDF first, and then needed your posterior laminectomy/facetectomy/discectomy of C4/7.

I am recovering from a 2 level ACDF of C3/4/5 (nearly 9 weeks ago). My surgeon has said that I may need to have another surgery from the back later. I know that I have nerve root compression from C4 to C7. So far, I haven't had much relief from my ACDF, but the surgeon says that there is still time for improvement of my symptoms.

I am also wondering why you couldn't lift more than 5 pounds after your ACDF. My right hand/wrist if very weak, stopping me lifting anything of any weight at all. It feels like I have sprained my wrist. Is this anything like your symptoms?

I hope that your burning in the trapezius will go soon. How long ago was your surgery?
This discussion has been closed.