Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fusion surgery and smoking

dandonddandon Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Has anybody smoked and tried smoking aids to stop smoking. Finding it extremely hard to quit and was wondering which stop smoking aid worked the best. Dr told me the nicotine patch was ok. Was wondering about the electronic cigarettes?

• I also tried to quit but only lasted about 2 weeks after my fusion. I tried the patch and the e cig. E cig seemed heavy and awkward to me. Although they didnt work for me I know plenty of others they worked for. good luck in your quest!
  • I smoked for thirty some years and was a 2+ pack a day smoker.I quit cold turkey I figured why prolong the misery of the cravings.

The worst cravings are only the first three days after that it gets allot easier with each passing day,you just have to remember your an addict even just one cigarette is to many.

You really want to give your body every chance to heal/fuse properly,if you don't quit smoking and stay quit you reduce those odds greatly.

What helped me the most was realizing the obvious,that smoking is a learned behavior,and since its learned that meant that I have control over it and not the other way around.
    Anyway thats what worked for me,however you do it just do it.

• =D> Hello.. Wow! You are one of the lucky ones thats 4 sure. I too have smoked that long and its been very difficult for me to quit. Want to quit for many other reasons so Im not giving up! Thank you for your reply. Best wishes too you.
  • :H Thank you for your reply. When did you have your fusion done and did you fuse? I had my ACDF done Feb. 24th. Had to return to work in 2 wks as work comp injury and Employer said i only had 2 wks of FMLA. So i went back and boy its been hard.. in pain everyday. Maybe I should of let them fire me. Today takes the cake .. pain about a 7. Seems unfair but we do what we HAVE too do I guess. Thank God i only work 4 hrs a day. Will try e cig and see if that helps. Best wishes to you and thanks again!
  • The first time was Oct 2009 and this last time was Dec 2011 revision I didn't fuse the first time,I hope it takes this time.
  • The patch to help me quit and found that it helped alot. Wanted to do everything that I could possibly do to help my recovery after my second surgery.

My husband uses the ecig that has zero nicotene in it. He says that it is very helpful for the habit part that he found even harder than the addiction to nicotene.

Wishing you all the best with quitting and recovery.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012