Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What med. is good for Leg Cramp during the sleep?

Cherry2012CCherry2012 Posts: 7
I have leg cramp, mostly left leg which radiates from upper part all down to the lower part of left leg.

The med., Methocarbamol 500 mg. 4 tab per day, I was on worked good until last month, but recently I started experiencing more often during the sleep.

Just wonder what med. is good for leg-cramp?

Thanks for your help in advance.

• I usually take tramadol on the bad days and that seems to really help. Also if I'm dehydrated before I go to sleep the cramps get a lot worse.
  • This is going to sound silly....drinking plenty of water will stop cramps!! And I do mean PLENTY!!
    Drink several large glasses thru out the day. Drinking it at night will have you up all night trotting to the loo!
    It works for me and others I have told this about. I have to force myself to drink lots of water but it's worth it! And it's the only thing that helps me.
    You can try Flexeril, a muscle relaxer. I have to take it at night because it will make you sleepy.

If drinking water does not help, you are not drinking enough.

Hope this helps.
    Patsy W
  • Before properly treating leg cramps, the actual cause of them should be determined. Of course like many folks, you can try all the traditional things such as muscle relaxers, certain mineral supplements, hydration, sleeping positions, topical analgesic rubs, eating greater amounts of green leafy vegetables ... the list goes on.

Just keep in mind that there can be other reasons for leg cramps other than the spine or lack of certain dietary needs. Medications being taken for other diseases or chronic conditions can cause leg cramps. Stopping those medication can be dangerous if not under the guidance of your physician.

Getting together with your physician would be a great place to start, so you can rule out other known causes of leg cramps before trying every home remedy mentioned.

Kindest Regards,

• BTW.....Drinking water to cure cramps is not a "home remedy". A Doctor I had a few years back suggested I try this for my night time cramps before we tried medication. It worked!! When I get the least bit dehyderated I start cramping.
    Naturally some people will scoff at this but what does one have to loose by trying this except some painful cramps.

Best of luck.
    Patsy W