Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Six weeks post op adr

ouch2oouch2 Posts: 1,270
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi guys! Hope everyone is doing okay. I am now 6 weeks post op from my adr at L5-S1. I had my follow up with my surgeon this week. I have regained some movement in my left foot and my hip pain has subsided. I think that I maybe have 20 percent less pain.

The doctor said that after about 3 months whatever my pain reduction is, will probably be where I stay. I hope that he is wrong and I can continue to improve. He still has me on the same restrictions that I had, no bending or twisting, and no lifting over 5 pounds.

I asked him for a physio referral. With the restrictions that I have do you think that it is worth it to pay (I don't have coverage)for physio or should I wait until 3 months when he hopefully lifts some restrictions. Can they give me very many beneficial exercises with my restrictions?

Right now I am going to the pool and walking in the water and going to the gym to walk on the treadmill. I went outside to walk yesterday, but found the uneven ground really hurt my back.I had great intentions of going for a nice long walk,but had to turn around really soon. Muscle spams are also bothering me a lot the last few weeks.

My incision is really numb,sometimes I get a sharp pain and it is always at the end of my incision on the left...strange.

Still taking all my long acting meds, have cut back a couple of breakthrough meds a day... Was hoping for better but...

Have a great, pain reduced day!

>:D< Karen
>:D< >:-D< : Karen
L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
adr L5-S1 Feb 2012

• Dear Karen, despite what your MD says (my doc said the same) I continued to have more pain 'til I went to PT. Congratulations on your determination to keep walking! I first had a fusion from L2 to L5, then after continued sleepless nights due to continued pain I had an extended fusion from L1 to S1. Both of these with instrumentation. Because my whole lumbar region was fused the pressure had to go somewhere so I herniated @T11 & T12 and had another surgery. The last surgery was in Oct 2011. The pain from all those surgeries (from 2006 - 2011) is basically gone. Back surgery bone usually isn't truly healed for about one year. My back numbness is now gone. I believe the sharp pain you're feeling are nerves trying to regenerate. Just being on the left really isn't a big deal I don't think, but I'm not a doctor so be sure to tell your surgeon. Heck, Peyton Manning wasn't released to play until his nerves regenerated. I'm so terribly sorry about your insurance. Ask your surgeon do call them & explain that it is very, very neccesary!! Docs are really good at that. All I can say is that you will feel better & better. I'm all hunched over because my orthopedic surgeon (whom I trust totally) didn't want to fuse L1 to T12 since pressure moves upwards in my case, so on this March 29 he's going to use pedicle screws to attach my sacrum to my pelvis, re-do all the hardware up to L1 and continue on with instrumentation to T2. Yowser! But I know there will be pain & hard work so don't give up. It will, will get better, I'm betting on it. Keep up the wonderful work you're already doing. You Will be able to walk outside.
  • Welcome to spine health. Thanks for responding to my post, and for joining us here. I wanted to wish you all the best next week for your surgery...yowzers is right!

You sound so positive, which is wonderful. You have already been through a lot and next week so much more. Surely if you can be so positive, I can too.

Look forward to hearing more from you.Great to hear how well you feel after your previous surgeries. I am sure others would love to hear from you and about your upcoming surgery. Maybe you can start a post about it, so that more will see it, and we can all support you through your recovery too.

Will be cheering you on next week!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012