Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Angry at pain

rmp67rrrmp67r Posts: 32
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello all,
It's been a beautiful 2 days and had really planned to get up and get moving. Usually when I have a day off, I take a Vicodin then lay down and wait for the pain to subside before I start chores, errands, etc.
My pain is really bad in mornings. If I try to lie in bed too long to enjoy not having to get up and race around on my day off, muscle spasms in neck and shoulders start in. The kind that feel like being stabbed with splinters in 50 places.
This morning, the pain didn't let up and taking a Vicodin and I'm so angry at the pain and not being able to do things without this stabbing pain that I have taken 2 prescription strength Ibuprofen, 10 mg of Flexeril, and 4 Vicodin. In other words, 2 doses of my med cocktail within 2-3 hours.
Right now, I'm lying down on a water bottle filled with water and frozen. The hard ice feels good.
I'm really sick of being in pain and taking meds then turning into a drugged vegetable.

Thanks for listening.

• Hi and welcome to this forum I found this forum a few weeks ago and it really has helped. You are not alone in suffering pain if you look around you will find threads and post with people writing how bad their pain is. I know how you feel and also take vicodin, which I asked my dr to increase, I have been taking vicodin for a few years. The past year the pain has increased so my dr gave me vicodin 5/500 four times a day, just had it increased to 7.5/750. I have appt with a neurosurgeon on April 12, 2012, back in 2008 my neck started hurting a lot and after MRI I was diagnosed with four herniated disc, stenosis, spinal cord and nerve roots being pinched and other things. I do not want surgery unless I have to, well I think that time is fast approaching, after recent MRI and being in pain 24/7, not being able too sleep or even pick up my 6 yr old daughter I might not have a choice. Please do not feel alone when your pain is worse than " normal", I read a post where a woman wrote on days when pain is so bad I can't do anything I don't feel guilty about taking it easy and days when pain is bearable I do what I can. Only people who have our kind of pain can understand what we are going through, if your having a tough day take it easy if you can and read some of the threads in this forum, it has helped me. I hope this makes you feel better if not send me a private message and tell me where to stick it, lol don't worry about hurting my feelings as the nerve pain is much worse. God Bless, Joe
    ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ...for the pain you're in. It is so common for me to have my plans get hijacked by my pain also. When the pain screams there is no choice but to treat and rest.

I may have missed it, but are you under pain management doc? For like an everyday med to help get pain under control and then another med for the breakthrough pain?

It was trial and error but my doc is a lifesaver to me. For years I went to my primary doc who did her best and finally referred me to Pain Management.

I wasnt' too optimistic since I thought we tried everything..but doc came up with combo of meds to at least make my days bearable and most functional to some level.

Maybe let your doc know how you are doing and that maybe there could be more to help get that pain under control...but even with best laid plans.. some days are just down for the count days.

Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I agree with Savage that it can be trial and error to get the right stuff. After 3 fusions (L1-S1) I have been on a lot of things.

I don't care for vicodin as it doesn't work well and it makes my brain too fuzzy. I have a wonderful family doctor who put me on neurontin along with my other pain killer which at the time was tramadol.

What a miracle that was for me. It got rid of the nerve pain and the tramadol was for the bone pain.

I had to go off the tramadol as it was interfering with my level of sleep that deals with healing so after several trial and error experiments I am on Tylenol 3 and it works well for me. I almost didn't try it because I don't like codeine and that is what T3 is but I haven't even noticed it.

It was interesting that altho I have a top notch spine surgeon, excellent internist and a pain management doc who is rated one of the top 100 docs in the US and none of them could figure out the neurontin. Thank goodness for my family doctor.

There is a lot out there for pain control and we are all different. I would not be afraid to ask about some other drugs, do your research and then decide if there is something else that might be worthwhile.

Like I said it took 4 doctors to figure it all out for me.

Good luck.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I completely agree with savage and janiski about pain mngmnt dr, I saw one in 2009 and he eventually put me on the fentynal patch. I was on the patch for close to a year but asked to be taken off due to liability, my brother is a police officer and he told me he had taken people straight from court to jail for being under the influence. They have a medicine that can help you live a somewhat normal life but if you get into an accident and are on fentynal it is the same as DUI in the eyes of the law, and lawyers. I am going to a neurosurgeon for the first time on April 12, 2012 and am hoping he can help me manage my pain as it has been worse the past six months. I am thankful for all whom have shared their pain experience with us, I will go to my appt with a lot more confidence and knowledge as this can only help. Thanks again to all that have shared the good and bad with us, it is comforting to know others feel the pain I do as well as the anger, frustration and depression that goes with it. God Bless, Joe
  • Thanks for all the feedback. Reading all this is very supportive and really helps. >:D<
    I have a problem with insurance in that I have a HMO.
    I can change it in one month. I went to a doctor a few weeks ago not in my HMO clinic and they charged my $60 for copay. I got a memo from my insurance yesterday saying that the bill they won't pay is $650 of which part was x-rays. I didn't even like the doc. He didn't ask me questions but sat there and listened to an assistant read him my answers. He didn't even look at me.
    I did go to a dr. this week. His office said they accepted my insurance but when I got there, they said Cigna wouldn't pay and it would be $350 for a visit. I was hurting so much and went to all the trouble to get records faxed and drive up there that I paid it. Call me crazy. As it turns out, he was great. He talked to me about options and said the reason the clinic wouldn't give me injections because the insurance wouldn't pay for it. That's the 2nd doc that told me injections are an option after I was told at the clinic it wasn't. He discussed all my meds and options at length as well as answered all questions. I'll have new insurance May 1, (my birthday), that'll take care if this.
    It's so sad we all have to suffer because of the "medical system".

Prayers for all and thanks.

• Am glad you are getting some better answers and options. Our health care system is a mess. Actually there is no care in it. Hope one of your many birthday presents is the new insurance.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I hope your birthday present is a great dr or group that accepts your new insurance. Between insurance not paying and DR's thinking you are drug seeking it is tough to get pain relief. I started having neck pain in 2006 but it did not get too bad until the following year, every time I went to primary dr he would only give me tramadol and would not even order X-rays, I was told by nurse that dr did not want to give me narcotics, I did not have a drug problem. He finally sent me for X-ray in 2008 which showed a lot of bad stuff and still would not give any narcotics. One day when I was having really bad pain and went to office my dr wasn't there so I saw other dr in practice, he sent me for MRI. After viewing MRI report my primary referred me to ortho surgeon who gave me vicodin, and after a while he sent me to pain management dr. It really sucks when you are in real pain and can't get help because insurance companies or dr's who think you are seeking. Only those like us know how debilitating spine pain can be, especially us neckies. God Bless, Joe
  • I go through something similar all the time. Making plans or deciding this is going to be the day that I ..and then all of a sudden there's too much pain to do it. And I want to talk or cry or yell or scream because, since when did I give pain permission to run my life and decide things for me?! I was hurt in an accident so it makes it even more insulting and makes me so angry at the person who changed my life.

I also, really hate when I'm out and doing something with people and I end up in so much pain that I can't just ignore it anymore. I have to actually speak up and suddenly all kinds of attention shifts to me in a way that I really didn't want it to. It's SO frustrating. Hugs to you. Hang in there and know you're not alone.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,855
    Yes, but please never think that over-dosing on any medication is the right path to take.
    I fully understand how pain levels can vary from day to day and that some days it becomes almost unbearable.

Your pain medications were written at a dose that your doctor feels will help manage your pain levels. If this is NOT working, then you need to get in contact with the doctor to discuss this.

Many times, the doctor would either say 1 - You can take the second dose in xx amount of time, instead of waiting yy. OR 2 - Recommend a different medication or dosage to help you.

One of the worst things that anyone can do is to double up or increase the frequency of a prescribed pain medication. That will shorten the time, the medication script was written for. So, when the prescript runs out, but the timeframe does not match and you call for a refill, you might run into some mighty strict and tough resistance. You can avoid that by discussing this up front with your doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    "I'm really sick of being in pain and taking meds Then turning into a drugged vegetable"
    For most of us (on chronic pain forum) That is the choice. For some there is no choice. Because there is no other way to get through the day.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I have been out with family and friends before and had to go to the car and lie down while I waited for them. They are pretty understanding but it is disappointing that I can't join them.
    I haven't been active at all since last summer since this last really bad flare up. I hope to get more active after the injections.

Neck pain since 2004
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,855
    We have all go through what you are doing at one time or another.

There is a great memo out here that talks about the
    "Spoon Theory" When I dig it up, I will post it here (or if anyone has it ready now)

But basically, it says that you need to use your time wisely. If you want to do something special, then you have to make sure you plan for it.

Many times over the years, friends and family have gone out to dinner, to a play, to something or even just a family gathering at home. I know I cant do it all, so I will excuse my self and rest to store up some energy to use it for another time.

As time goes by, nobody will even notice your absence for a while. You will be the only one to know that. Then ae you build strength and stamina, those times you need to rest will decrease.

Just dont push yourself more than you should. Doing that just will set you back and you will be a lot more absent from the group.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com