Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Causes of LDDD

Trouble ShooterTTrouble Shooter Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Has there been a study on the causes of LDDD.

I am a first time posted been a lurker for a while now and yes i have been diagnost with LDDD i'm 52 years of age and have work hard all my life as a telephone lineman and repair person, now i'm in management but it's kind of like the name DDD it's a misnomer because i still do (try to) the very same jobs that i was hired to get done only now i carry more responcibility. I have seen a neoro surgeon and he said no fusion and don't let anyone else convince you that you need it yet, but in time you will need it.

is it true that as you age LDD gets better because the disc's are gone and no more inflamitroy fluid can seep to your nerves or is it again not proven either way.

i have read a lot of info but i see conflicting reports. any one that can fill in the gaps feel free and I remember no one here is a Dr. unless it is verified by the board.

I know that in time I will have more questions.

Trouble Shooter

• I have LDDD throughout my lumbar spine and was told it was constant lifting, bending & twisting on my job. There's other factors like bending at the waist I should have crouched down and lifted things instead and hold it close to my body and not over reached for anything. I never turn at the waist anymore but instead moving my feet turn my whole body instead of turning or twisting suddenly.

DDD caused by age and dehydration so I drink a lot of water. I never drank water before at all only cola which doesn't do the disc health any good. I drink only one coffee a day and an occasional red bull or energy drink but limit it's use because of the caffeine and dehydration issues.

There;s more general information at the top of the page about DDD and common Physiotherapy exercises but of course like any exercise check with your Dr. first. I'm also one for not exercising much on my own and prefer to see a PT as my benefits allow so much a year.

Inferential treatment has helped well my neck and lower back DDD or rather helped the muscle pain and take down inflammation.

I read in one of the above articles that DDD can ease up with time as the spine settles. I've had herniated and bulging disc that really flared the pain. I was also in an accident that I'm sure the trauma of that sped up the DDD.

I hurt my back at work when I was 47 4 years ago after a heavy assignment and haven't been back yet.

I think my back improved in one area and then turned around and then another bulging disc. I don't know if part of the cascade.

We're here to support you and hopefully some of Spine Health articles can help you understand more. Take care. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks CHARRY for your reply, I would have to say that mine is also caused by the type of work that I have done in the last 34 years. I too have learned to lift close to the body and then turn. My Neuro surgeon says to get a different job but sitting here at 52 i'm not sure of where a fellow could go, he really opened up my eyes when he said if i continue with what i do now i will be cripled up by the time i hit 55, so i'm am thinking that i might have to make a change but if i do it will mean a 350 mile move and may even be a desk job which i just don't think i can do for 8 hours a day. Any ways thanks for your reply i have learned a bunch from just reading the posts on line hear.

Trouble Shooter